Training new puppy

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Rainy Daze, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Sup guys me and my brother recently got a little golden retriever and were starting to train him. We got him to sit but I'm having a really hard time walking him on a leash all he wants to do is pull me around and I really just want to be able to take him for walks without having to fight him the whole time. Anyone know any tricks to teach him to walk next to me or atleast not to pull on the leash?Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Shorten the leash and always keep a little pressure on it...but a bird dog, just by instinct, always wants to be out in front....

3. #4 Rainy Daze, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
    Thanks guys I read a little more into it, tomorrow I'm gonna try holding some treats in my pocket to see if he'll walk closer to me. Our last golden never walked good on the leash that's why I want to start digger (the pup) out early he's 5 months oldSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. All I remember is the word "Heel" when training the dog to walk correctly with you, lol. Good luck, they're great dogs those retrievers. They love to please people so I'm sure he's very trainable.

5. Thank you man yes goldens are awesome!Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Cool, nice dog. Retrievers are smart and like learning.

get some treats, dogs learn quickly when food is around
    I had the same dealio with my puppy, took some work and I had to be really patient
     puppies are extremely curious and excited to explore the world at breakneck speed.

Find a place to walk relatively quiet, with little distraction,also where you can stop frequently. 
    So start walking, if the puppy pulls. come to a full stop, pause for a moment, resume walking  and repeat.  Puppy spends alot of effort pulling constantly, and will tire the out.  Realizing if they want to get anywhere, they shouldnt pull.

you can also lead the puppy with a treat. keeping him beside you. Longer he walks give him a treat.  This will keep him by your side.   and giving you some slack in the leash

good luck 

7. Always keep your dogs attention on a walk, calling his name so he stays towards you then give him a treat tell him goodboy. Anytime he yanks on the leash, tug it (not a hard at all, that's counterproductive) and get his attention. Any questions bro ask, got a 1 year old lab/German shepard/ Australian Shepherd and he's trained just how I want himSent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. [quote name="Ragekai" post="19425562" timestamp="1390958776"][​IMG][/quote]All this does it encourage the dog to run or pursue what ever he was pulling on the leash for.You walk the dog, not the other way around. You set the pace and determine when its appropriate for the dog to sniff, poop and pissSent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. it was a joke.