training for autoflower varieties

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Newbloomfield, Apr 10, 2022.

1. I haver read through several guides for different training techniques and most say that it is generally a bad idea to do high stress training like topping/mainlining on autoflower varieties because of their short growing periods. In other words, the vegetative period for autoflowers is something like one month and anything that slows down its growth will adversely affect yield.

That said, I found a video where the grower topped his plants and seemed to do quite well. He was using a Gorilla Glue variety. This made me wonder if topping works better with some autoflower varieties as opposed to others (perhaps some autoflowers with slightly longer growing seasons would do better, such a Bruce Banner #3 auto as opposed to a Critical Fast Bud that clearly has a very short lifespan).

Any advice on this? Stick with Low Stress Training? Leave them alone and simply take good care of the plants? lol

2. Just have to time everything right with autoflowers you can treat them like photos in every aspect.

Autoflowers are recommended for beginner's for some reason therefore the methods listed everywhere are limited

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've topped and transplanted autos, and broke all the other rules. Some will tell you that topping or transplanting any plant WILL stunt it, and that's just not true. It certainly CAN, and autoflowers can be less forgiving when it comes to training or slowing down veg, but really if the plant is happily vegging, you can top and train and leaf strip all you want.

4. Thanks! The plants are all doing well and I think topping will simply divert the growing energy into the other branches. Will give it a try

5. Either is functional. I now LST only because my yield is increased by 1-2 ounces.

Auto BlueBerry Domina
    Organic soil auto grower.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wow! Thanks, very impressive! Much appreciated, too.
    What LST techniques are you using now?

7. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  8. thank you! I am inclined to simply top once, using the "Nebula" method (letting plant grow to 6 nodes and then top to the third node, leaving a bit of stem above the node, see Nebula's Easy Manifold (Cannabis "Main-Lining" Tutorial) | Grow Weed Easy ). But only on a very vigorous and healthy plant!

9. Personally I wouldnt do that, with autos you will have limited growth as is. The method of topping turns one growth into two. Taking 6 nodes to 3 will only give you 5 main sites the 2 that grow and the 3 remaining. By simply taking the top node you increase bud sites not create one by removing 3

If it was a photo and you could veg it out letting it grow that's something to consider. Bigger plants = bigger buds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Don't mainline an auto that's a bit overkill.

11. When I talk about topping, I literally mean pinching off the teeny tiniest shoot of new growth at a top site, it's fuck all and the plant hardly notices. Once you start hacking at them and forcing them to mainline you WILL get a severely small auto come flower time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Look at fim ( fuck I missed ) that's more along the lines of topping we're referring to. Just don't miss haha jk

13. That is exactly the information I was hoping to get, thank you. That is why I hadn't done any topping on the autos to date, as I was concerned about their limited vegetative growth phase.
    I will do as you suggest! thanks again

• Like Like x 1

14. Ok that makes sense. I had read about fimming and had wondered about it in this context. Makes sense, will do!

15. You can do whatever to them. Break them in half if you want. Just have to weigh the cost vs reward. Find method that's easy not time consuming and effective. You're not growing for consumers, so growing the max everytime isn't necessary, unless your plant count is limited. If you cant grow enough to get through grows then yea try and max that shit out everytime lol

16. I had decent results (carefully!) bending the main stalk over in early veg to about 90 deg angle and holding down the main until the side branches catch up and become tops too. I planted the seeds slightly off center in 5 gal pots to give room for lateral growth. Late veg pruning for light penetration and ventilation, which I needed in a crowded tent. Just took the interior leaves that were blocking air and light to the budlets and trimmed off the gimpy branches underneath.Then in the early stretch, I took those side branches and spread them out around the rim of the pot with soft ties to form a canopy. The plants were strong and didn't even flinch. I can't say if it improved my yield since I only grown autos once. Sure was fun and kinda creative dealing with all the unruly branches. YMMV.

17. You can also just pinch and lay over the top lightly super cropping it's not necessary to tie down, just have to pinch twist and lay almost daily.

• Like Like x 1
  18. thanks, good advice about planting off-center for lateral growth!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hafta give that a try next time I try some autos.

20. Just pinch with index finger and thumb newer growth the older the growth the firmer itll be. It should break the membrane and lay over whichever way you guide it. If pinching it doesn't break it gently twist between finger and thumb. That will lay it on over. You're not trying to break the outer part of the stalk, but sometimes that happens and its okay itll heal. So much quicker than tying down and adjusting ties.