Training For 18 Minute 5K.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Trogdor, Jun 1, 2013.

1. My repeats went well last night. I backed off on the pace just a wee bit (Still very winded and could hear my heart pounding after each mile) and thought of chill laid back songs in my head while I ran. "Hey, hey, what can I doI got a woman she won't be trueLord, hear what I sayI got a woman, wanna ball all day." Thanks Led Zeppelin!It actually helped the miles seem like they went faster.Also I allowed myself to think about quitting, which helped me keep going. It seems like I want most whatever I forbid myself, so If I'm not allowed to quit, I really want to. Last night I checked with myself when it got hard, like "hey man, you wanna quit?" "Nah, I'm alright. I'm like 3/4 of the way there, I can finish this."Threw in some bicycle sprints (rode to and from running location on bike) on the way home just as icing on the cake. I had a good workout that made me excited to mile repeats the next time.

2. #42 Trogdor, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
    Yesterday I did a treadmill lactate threshold run/tempo run deal.  2% incline, 8 mph for 10 minutes.  Still felt strong and was mosty still nose breathing, so I increased the speed to 8.5 and tried to go another 10 minutes.

I only made it 6 minutes at 8.5, so I'm thinking right now the pace I can sustain for a while is about 8.1 or 8.2.

Next treadmill workout, I'm going to try to make it for 30 minutes at 8.1mph,  2% incline.

3. Ok So you mean 8 min mile pace? I wouldn't keep messing w/ the incline and stuff and i 'd try to avoid the treadmill mostly because all that isn't gonna really help you get to an 18min 5k which is bout 5:48-5:50 a mile. (dont feel like doin exact math)

Anyway...As one of your hard workouts (which should be 3xweek only) try doing 6 miles/10k outside at 7 flat pace. That seems to easy...take it down to 6:50 pace and then maybe 6:30 pace and so on. Eventually a 6 mile run at 6:30-6:45 pace should feel like a breeze. when that happens that'll be your average easy day & hitting 5:45 a mile for a 5k will be attainable. Its all about., getting it there and holding it there. thats the way I looked at my racing and workouts. I wasn't a fast middle distance runner-my all out 800m was only like 2:15. I was a long distance runner with tons of endurance (still got the endurance part lol) so for me on my easy days I'd do 6miles clipping them off easily 6:15-6:30. Basically 5:45 a mile is gonna be your "friend" whos gonna take u to your goal. Hanging on to 6:30 pace for 6miles on your easy days, doing mile repeats (no more than 3) at 5:15 to 5 flat pace, Doing 3 mile tempo runs 6 flat/ 5:50 pace is gonna help you hang with your "friend" on race day. The treadmill and incline and swimming and biking stuff is not. It's all great like for triathletes or just being in general shape etc...but you gotta different goal than that am I right?

4. nope 8 miles per hour.  7:30 minutes per mile
    8.5 miles per hour is 7:03 minutes per mile

why isn't a treadmill gonna help?  It fit my schedule and I feel like I was able to run harder than I would have in 90 degree heat with full sun.

I don't understand, any cardio is going to build my stamina, right?  Biking or swimming might not help my running as much as running, but if I'm doing it as something easier on my calves, knees, or whatever instead of taking the day off completely, I'm still gonna make progress, right?

I'm getting as much running in as I can, but I can't do 3 "easy" and 3 "hard" running workouts a week yet.  Instead of running 6 days a week, I do a hard running workout every other day and swim or bike on days in between and try to lift some weights a few times a week too.

5. Yeah sure I guess. Sounds like your current training regimen works for you. Good luck!

6. Well Rach, I've completed my first week of working out the way you told me to.Day 1- 6 miles 49:30Day 2- lifted weightsDay 3- mile repeats 6:43 and 6:41Day 4- lifted weightsDay 5 3 miles- 21:26Day 6- lifted weightsI'm getting back into lifting weights consistently, it has been helping my knees and ankles feel better and I believe it will put some spring in my step. Also I was sick of the negative comments I was getting about how skinny I am. I've decided I'm only going to post updates once a week at most. There's no point in obsessing and I don't have fun stories really, it's just a routine. Sometimes old people do honk at me for running in the road. (subdivisions, not main roads!) I run right on the crown so as to not be on a slope, but always move to the side when cars approach.

7. Well Rach, I've completed my first week of working out the way you told me to.Day 1- 6 miles 49:30Day 2- lifted weightsDay 3- mile repeats 6:43 and 6:41Day 4- lifted weightsDay 5 3 miles- 21:26Day 6- lifted weightsI'm getting back into lifting weights, it has been helping my knees and ankles feel better and I believe it will put some spring in my step. Also I was sick of the negative comments I was getting about how skinny I am.I've decided I'm only going to post updates once a week at most. There's no point in obsessing and I don't have fun stories really, it's just a routine. Sometimes old people do honk at me for running in the road. (subdivisions, not main roads!) I run right on the crown so as to not be on a slope, but always move to the side when cars approach.

8. Your running days look good. Tbh tho, If your goal is still the same, 18min 5k, then
    you need to build up more of a running base. I can give you an example of a week if you'd like or just continue with what you did and see what happens. good luck.

9. Yes, please tell me more about building a running base. 

Also, what do you predict will happen if I just keep with my present routine?

10. Two dead lifts ten one foot box jumps four minute rest
    Times three

Thirty second sprint thirty rest for four min.

Just what im soing but im trainimg for fifty mile

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Grasscity Forum mobile app