Training at a Shaolin Temple.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by thekey2, Feb 28, 2013.

1. A few days ago my Dad called me up and asked me if I ever wanted to learn Karate. I was slightly intrigued so i said maybe, why?
    He told me that there is this temple you can go and you train with the monks 7 hours a day. Its only 4.4k for 1 year ( you can do more or less ) and sounds pretty interesting. However i would probably only go for 1-3 months to see how i liked, i honestly don't know how i would fair. I read a lot of students who went there they say there really understanding and work with you, I guess I just am more afraid of being home away for 3 months ( and that really aint shit ) with no friends family, or mary jane ;) I don't know my Dad offered to pay for it and thats pretty unlike him to shell out that kind of money.

Question is should i try and go for it?

2. Why not? Bring me back a good luck charm.

3. Sounds good to me :smoking:

4. Hell yeah man. Life is a series of experiences. Go make a new experience for yourself.

5. That sounds like such an amazing experience! If you don't go tell your dad to pay my way haha. Really though don't pass that shit up.

6. You wont be learning Karate. Shaolin monks do not train in karate, they train in Kung-Fu.

I dont mean to sound cynical, but you're getting scammed.

7. I usually don't throw wiki links cause they are not hard facts

Shaolin Kempo Karate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. man that would be fuckin awesome!!!

9. Sounds hella intristing I'd try it out atleast the three months , mater of fact have any info on it so I could look it up my self ?

10. I wanna go visit the temple where the monks live among the tigers peacefully thats crazy as fuck!!!!

11. But if you were going to an actual shaolin monastery, it would be PURE kung-fu.

Plus, they'd cane you for speaking. :D

12. #12 trazzberry1, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
    Shaolin Kempo Karate is NOT a martial art developed or followed by the Shaolin monks, rather a mixture of some of their Kung Fu styles with Kempo and Karate, two totally different martial arts. There is ONE Shaolin monastery, the Shaolin Temple in the Henan Province of China. They strictly follow the training and discipline that they have been for hundreds of years, and they train only in Kung Fu and Tai Chi. There are many schools that teach "Shaolin Kung Fu", which in my opinion is a misnomer because the monks follow a very strict lifestyle to achieve their martial skill, but it refers specifically to their fighting styles. Karate was invented in Japan, as was Kempo, and neither have ever been practiced by the monks of the Shaolin Temple.

I'm not saying anything about the opportunity that you've been presented, just offering some facts. Being Buddhist myself and having visited several monasteries and ashrams, I will tell you that monks who still speak are fascinating and unthinkably compassionate people. But to clarify, you won't be training at the Shaolin temple. They do not just take students in for money. Shaolin styles, maybe. Which is still something to consider. Personally I don't like SKK, but I'm an old soul, I still believe in tradition. It's a good technique, certainly effective, and any chance to visit a monastery is one to take, but consider the above facts before you rush in maybe.

Oh, and you won't be caned for speaking. Most monasteries do not force silence on their students. The Shaolin certainly do not, vocalization is key to releasing breath as you strike. And to my knowledge there is not a single Eastern style monastery that canes anyone. They are usually resigned pacifists, they will not partake in violence unless it is forced upon them. Martial arts are a means of discipline and clarity, not a weapon.

13. If you wanted to learn at the real temple you would have to get used to pain and malnurishment pretty quick.

Plus, they wont accept you unless you can prove you can cut the mustard, aka sitting out the front in complete silence without moving for days.

Saw a couple people do it on a doco, they were already pretty skilled at kung fu and they still got their asses kicked. Monks were pretty cool though.

14. Opportunity of a lifetime. I don't see how you can even think of not trying it. I couldn't fathom turning it down.

15. Damn right this could open your mind and change your life for the better for sure. Dont let this opportunity slip away bro!

16. Go for it it sounds f*cking amazing , one of a life time don't let it go , link to it though ?

17. Shaolin shadowboxing and the wu tang sword style. If what you say is true the shaolin and wu tang could be dangerous.

18. I don't know about anyone else, but looks like 'daddy's' taken a life insurance policy out on you sunny jim.

Should have kept the secret, you used to be his special boy
    [​IMG]

19. Can you message me more details about this place? I've been wanting to do this for sometime now would love to look into it and only 4.4 for a year? Sweet fuckin deal!