Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Traditional Bhang Recipe (Indian Cannabis Drink)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by GreenPhoenix, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Located here: Bhang Recipes,Recipe of Bhang,Holi Bhang Recipe,Recipe for Bhang

Ingredients

2 cups water
    1 ounce marijuana (fresh leaves and flowers of a female plant preferred)
    4 cups warm milk
    2 tablespoons blanched and chopped almonds
    1/8 teaspoon garam masala (a mixture of cloves, cinnamon, and cardamon)
    1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon rosewater
    1 cup sugar

Method

Bring the water to a rapid boil and pour into a clean teapot. Remove any seeds or twigs from the marijuana, add it to the teapot and cover. Let this brew for about 7 minutes.

Now strain the water and marijuana through a piece of muslin cloth, collect the water and save.

Take the leaves and flowers and squeeze between your hands to extract any liquid that remains. Add this to the water.

Place the leaves and flowers in a mortar and add 2 teaspoons warm milk. Slowly but firmly grind the milk and leaves together. Gather up the marijuana and squeeze out as much milk as you can. Repeat this process until you have used about 1/2 cup of milk (about 4 to 5 times). Collect all the milk that has been extracted and place in a bowl. By this time the marijuana will have turned into a pulpy mass.

Add the chopped almonds and some more warm milk. Grind this in the mortar until a fine paste is formed. Squeeze this paste and collect the extract as before. Repeat a few more times until all that is left are some fibers and nut meal. Discard the residue.

Combine all the liquids that have been collected, including the water the marijuana was brewed in. Add to this the garam masala, dried ginger and rosewater. Add the sugar and remaining milk.

Chill, serve, and enjoy.

------------------------

I'm fascinated by this recipe. Are there any growers out there with the available fresh bud to try this?

Moreover, has anyone tried this drink before?

2. "Fresh" bud is not what you want, that's bud that's just harvested (not dried cured)

3. The recipe says "1 ounce marijuana (fresh leaves and flowers of a female plant preferred) ".

Have you made this before?

4. I've been researching Bhang recipes for quite sometime now and have found quite a few references to "fresh" leaves and flowers. That is an old traditional recipe and the people of India in those days really didn't have a clue about curing. They refer to freshly dried weed and not decarbed. This would cause mild hallucinations and energy to participate in the festivals. I have the ability to make this but just haven't had a chance yet. There's only one of me and I would'n want to let any go to waste. However, if you make the traditional bhang powder, you can use it at anytime and that's what I really want.

So, how ya doing, GP? Supposed to be a warm one out there today. If you try this and want another guinea pig, give me a holler. ;)

5. I'm doing well! 0It has been exceedingly warm for my tastes, but hey... it's still nice out. I like colder weather, but variety is a good thing. :D I don't grow for myself, and while I get good pricing and a free 1/2 every month, I don't have the financial wherewithal to play around with an ounce. Wish I did though!

I wonder if this recipe scales...

How about you, my good fellow? Howya doin'?

If I can spare an ounce (in good conscience), we will definitely give this a shot. Love ethnic food in general, so this sounds tasty.

6. fresh bud and leaves work fine.

this ends up tasting like a delicious, warm cup of chai.

i shredded about 1/2th of a cup (a 1/4 cup filled about 1/3 full) of fresh (yes, fresh) leaves (and a little fresh bud), cooked in about 3 cups of water, with cardomom, ginger root, and fennel seeds, for about 10-15 minutes. after about 7-8 minutes into the boiling i turned the heat down a little and added some coconut oil and ghee. when that boiled down to 1 1/2 cups or so, i poured it through a strainer, squeezing out everything possible. that left a fairly dry mixture of herbs and herb in the strainer. i poured cream onto this mixture and squeezed it through the strainer with the back of a spoon, another 3-4 times (until the liquid that came through was mostly creamy colored and not yellowish from the herbs). then i enjoyed the bhang, and about an hour and a half later.... well, let's just say, i wasn't expecting anything quite so powerful from a cup of chai/bhang!

i can see why there's a great tradition of this in india.

7. This sounds awesome! I'm going to try it. :)

8. Me too, this has to be done

9. Its holi again.. indian spring festival ... the welcome of new harvest celebrated with colors

n bhag: a drink made of cannabis

10. Here is the recipe

Ingredients
    2 cups water 
    1 ounce marijuana (fresh leaves and flowers of a female plant preferred) 
    4 cups warm milk 
    2 tablespoons blanched and chopped almonds 
    1/8 teaspoon garam masala (a mixture of cloves, cinnamon, and cardamon) 
    1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger 
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon rosewater 
    1 cup sugar 

Method 
    Bring the water to a rapid boil and pour into a clean teapot. Remove any seeds or twigs from the marijuana, add it to the teapot and cover. Let this brew for about 7 minutes. 
    Now strain the water and marijuana through a piece of muslin cloth, collect the water and save. 

Take the leaves and flowers and squeeze between your hands to extract any liquid that remains. Add this to the water. 
    Place the leaves and flowers in a mortar and add 2 teaspoons warm milk. Slowly but firmly grind the milk and leaves together. Gather up the marijuana and squeeze out as much milk as you can. Repeat this process until you have used about 1/2 cup of milk (about 4 to 5 times). Collect all the milk that has been extracted and place in a bowl. By this time the marijuana will have turned into a pulpy mass. 

Add the chopped almonds and some more warm milk. Grind this in the mortar until a fine paste is formed. Squeeze this paste and collect the extract as before. Repeat a few more times until all that is left are some fibers and nut meal. Discard the residue. 

Combine all the liquids that have been collected, including the water the marijuana was brewed in. Add to this the garam masala, dried ginger and rosewater. Add the sugar and remaining milk. 

Chill, serve, and enjoy. 

11. I made this delicious drink following the exact recipe above, step-by-step, just this past week...  

I used fresh trim and small popcorn flowers.

Once the drink was completed, I allowed it to sit in the refrigerator for 2 days, stirring occasionally.

The flavor is reminiscent of Chai Tea. I enjoyed the flavor of the drink and the effects of the cannabis.  I believe the creamy nature of the drink allows the medicine to transfer via the digestive system and sublingual administration.  I felt the effects within minutes of drinking a full 6 to 8 ounces.

It went straight to my head and I felt fine for many hours.  Now, I know why the call it Bhang...

I will definitely make this again.

12. Bhang is hemp plant leaves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. #14 devendra.raju, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    I Like this recipe. I'll try it on this holi :)