trace mineral supplement

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by housefullOweed, Oct 6, 2010.

1. azomite as the first poster said, and glacier dust have always worked for me.

Azomite is much easier to find, and cheaper plus it also gives your roots a good boost, but if you can get your hands on glacier dust then I would toss it in your soil mix as well. I use both when I can find the glacier dust, and don't have any problems with excess.

If you're looking to add anything else to your mix I would try to put some bat guano in as well. Certain types can add to your N or P, and both give you some great organic reakage.

2. Alright thanks guys, when i went out to visit some gardening shops i was looking for some azomite and glacial rock dust but not one of them had either so i figured green sand would work as a replacement guess ill keep looking.

3. Yeah, it's good to have, but Greensand just really does take a while to break down.

Are you recycling your soil? You will see benefit from it if you do. But you still could use something that's quickly available.

4. Yeah im gonna try recycle my soil to try and keep cost down plus seems like a waste to throw away a micro herd if i get one going...

5. How many c.f. of potting soil do you batch out for each cycle?

6. #26 housefullOweed, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
    Would you happen to have the name of the company you get it from or the product name?

Well i was told not to fertilize with vic's super soil and my plant might have a bit of a nitrogen problem already as seen here http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/675118-drooping-seedling.html i would like to try that but i don't know if it would burn my plant. The plant is looking better now but there is still a slight curl on the tips of the leaves and it gets really droopy when i water it.

Well this is my first plant im trying to get a mother groing so i have used about 1 gal so far but by harvest time i will be using 4 5 gallons pots and i have 8 c.u. feet of soil total.

This soil has turned into an expensive project but thinking of how much it will save me on good quality bud is a nice thought, i still have to buy kelp meal and azomite and glacial rock dust.

7. I am putting together my soil for my next grow and came across a product called Minerals Plus by Rabbit Hill Farm. I figured I would mention it here because it is cheaper than Azomite/glacial rock dust. I couldn't find quantities less than 50# of Azomite/glacial rock dust that weren't outrageously expensive, especially after shipping!!! (Yeah a 50# bag only cost $30, but so does shipping ;) ) Rabbit Hill has 'amateur' sizes as well as industrial size.

Here is what the product claims to be made of

8. Stankie

Rabbit Hill products are a very good value and therefore a good choice for gardeners.

I did have to chuckle on this line: soft rock phosphate with colloidal clay

Well, yeah. It would have to contain 'colloidal clay' - that's how it's made/extracted. Soft rock phosphate (SRP) is also called 'colloidal phosphate - why? Because it contains colloidal clay! LMAO

Sorry for my mirth.

LD

9. Stankie

One other comment, colloidal clay in the SRP product also contains 25% elemental calcium (Ca++) which will give your soil the necessary tools to keep the low pH (acid) in line. If needed that is.

HTH

LD

10. Thanks LD!! I have only used peat moss as opposed to coir, so I probably need some PH tools. I actually ordered some of that soft rock phosphate by itself as well as an oyster shell flour from a different supplier.

Hard to find some of your recommendations in less than 'farm size'. ;)

11. Chunk,
    Am I assuming correctly that is the "Naomi's Mineral Mix"?

Unfortunately, I bought a 50# bag of azomite, 5# of glacial rock dust, and 50# of greensand. Then on a subsequent trip there, I saw "the mix" and read what it contained... Doh...It's just too easy to use her mix.

I guess I can "fertilize" my compost pile that is 30 cu yards and growing with the extra stuff...

12. MizzaFishKilla

Yes it is - even though I'm not Chunkdaddyo I have been authorized to answer any/all questions about Naomi's Mineral Mix - LMAO

BTW - in a few weeks there will be another mineral mix available from certain sources: The Lumperdawg Mineral Mix which will contain the following:

3x Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust
    1x organic oyster shell powder/flour
    2x soft rock phosphate (sourced from a mine in the Pacific Northwest)
    1x gypsum (elemental agriculture form)
    1x calcified kelp meal (aka fossilized kelp - as worthless as greensand but I thought that the addition of this product would add a 'touch of class' to the mix, i.e. basically it's an aeration amendment and little more)
    .5x SEA-90 sea minerals
    1x sulphate of potash magnesia (Sul-Po-Mag, K-Mag, langbeinite, et al.)

I have the mixing set-up as well as the prilling process (hit with a water/clay solution to reduce/eliminate the dust factor to comply with EPA and Oregon Tilth specifications/regulations). I believe that I can sell this for less than $.30 per lb.

Just for sh*ts and grins - as usual.

LD

13. lump are you seriously making your own mineral mix

can i get some of it mailed to me hahaha

seriously tho