Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tourettes Cured

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Syadin, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Hey guys I just wanted to say this as this backs up some medical claims. When I was 7 I was diagnosed with tourettes syndrome, I never had it very severely and I didn't have motor tourettes (when you swear) but sometimes when I was younger it got bad. Anyways I started smoking weed and now my tourettes is pretty much 100% gone I get the odd tic in my left arm but still, and it'll probably get better over time.

2. good shit. the herb has helped yet another person.

3. Good for you man. I didn't even know mj helped with that kind of condition.

4. My little brother has tourettes. He started smoking a while back and although I'm no scientist and I'm sure it varies, he's been about the same with his tics.

5. Some reading on cannabis and Tourette's Syndrome-

MARIJUANA AND TOURETTE'S SYNDROME (letter - 1988)
    Marijuana and Tourette's Syndrome

Effective treatment of Tourette's syndrome with marijuana. (abst - 1993)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, influence of nicotine, alcohol, and marijuana on the clinical symptoms (abst - 1997)
    Notice -- Web of Knowledge [v5.4]

Cannabinoids: possible role in patho-physiology and therapy of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome. (abst - 1998)

Cannabis in movement disorders. (abst - 1999) Cannabis in movement disorders. [Forsch Komplementarmed. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI

Treatment of Tourette's Syndrome With Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (letter - 1999)
    PsychiatryOnline | American Journal of Psychiatry | Treatment of Tourette

Science: THC in TOURETTE-Syndrome (news - 1999)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Science/Germany: Clinical study on THC in TOURETTE's syndrome (news – 2000)

Combined Treatment of Tourette Syndrome with Delta-9-THC and Dopamine Receptor Antagonists (full – 2002) http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/2002-03-04-9.pdf

Treatment of Tourette's syndrome with Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC): a randomized crossover trial. (abst - 2002)

Science: THC effective in TOURETTE-Syndrome (news - 2002)

Treatment of Tourette Syndrome with Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta9-THC): No Influence on Neuropsychological Performance (full - 2003) Neuropsychopharmacology - Abstract of article: Treatment of Tourette Syndrome with Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol ([Delta]9-THC): No Influence on Neuropsychological Performance

Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is effective in the treatment of tics in Tourette syndrome: a 6-week randomized trial. (abst - 2003)

Cannabinoids reduce symptoms of Tourette's syndrome. (abst - 2003)
    Cannabinoids reduce symptoms of Tou... [Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

Science: THC effective in TOURETTE syndrome in a 6-week trial (news - 2003)

Tourette syndrome is not caused by mutations in the central cannabinoid receptor (CNR1) gene. (abst - 2004) Tourette syndrome is n... [Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoids for Tourette's Syndrome. (abst - 2009) Cannabinoids for Tourette's Syndr... [Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Oral Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol improved refractory Gilles de la Tourette syndrome in an adolescent by increasing intracortical inhibition: a case report. (abst - 2010) Oral delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol imp... [J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Science: Cannabis effective in the treatment of TOURETTE Syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) (news – 2010)

A New Use for Medical Marijuana? (news - 2010) Experts Answer Questions About Health and Medicine - Consults Blog - NYTimes.com

Cannabinoids improve driving ability in a Tourette's patient. (news – 2011)

Cannabis is AMAZING! :hello:

Granny :wave:

6. Thanks, I don't know if you guys heard but Cannabis may be legal in Canada in about a month with that whole thing with matt mernagh court case.

7. granny was here = /thread :)

8. It hasn't cured mine but it sure takes my mind of it helpin' a lot! After 5 years smokin', I can honestly say that has been worth it!

I have told my doctor and he tried givin' me tablets but I refused them. Do you take tablets? If so, what do you find helps better? I told my doctor that i'll stick to the safe, natural, better, illegal medication :)

9. Superskunksmoke, you could always make some print-ups of the medical studies' abstracts and take (or anonymously send) them to your doctor! It is harder for a doctor to argue with you when you have a bunch of PubMed Studies in your hand! Most doctors are unaware of what cannabis can do (so be nice about it! ;) )

Mira, sometimes it takes the right strain for the best results! I hope he finds his! I'm lucky, "Anything Indica!" takes care of my migraines. :D Sativas, however, give me only partial relief.

And I don't want my posts to end threads, I want them to spark discussion and more personal research! :yay: I'm giving you a jumping off place to compare the scientific research with your own experiences, and the experiences of others! :D

Don't be afraid of going to PubMed, either! (It is free and they don't yell at you if you aren't a doctor! :p ) Just keep a second window open and copy&paste in any word that stumps you! ;)

Educate yourselves! :hello:

Granny :wave:

10. Granny

You need to add valley fever to your studies. I'm alive because of it and I shouldn't be at all.

Congrats OP!

11. I don't bother with the doctor anymore because he said to me that he can't tell me cannabis is safe but I managed to get him to agree with me that it has safer "side affects" than many prescription medications. What they are I don't know apart from short term memory and a reach for the fridge. He did say that he worked abroad in California and met many medical marijuana users and tried tellin' me that they are 'a bunch of nutcases' so obviously he is just the same as many from the previous mislead generations and looks down on anyone who uses cannabis by labellin' us as druggies. I have never had a single tablet or any kind of medication from the doctor despite them bein' free and to most it is the norm. I haven't got any time for people like him who won't give you any chance to say your point and as soon as he said about the mmj patients, I ignored him, leavin' him hangin' a bit and just looked at him like who the fuck do you think you are, I would be one of them 'nutcases' if only it was the same over here. Better than the list of about 8 different pills they can test you on, mixin' your brain up with different chemicals doin' high and low neuron signals all at the same time which in my opinion, through no fault of their own, can confuse anyone who gets given them into thinkin' they have a massive problem with themselves when all they really needed was to find a certain favorite strain. But what will this post change? The government still continue to allow this stupidity and turn a blind eye to the lot because money is the only thing that makes them happy.

12. I'm going to quote your last sentence from here on out. That should be in the bottom of everyone's sig as a constant reminder

13. pokesmot, I would if there were any! Zilch on the subject at PubMed! Tell your doctor(s) to do a paper on you!

Granny

14. @superskunksmoke Never take those pills! Any synthetic drug is bad in my opinion and those are nothing compared to the natural herb. I have a friend with semi-severe insomnia and he went to get a medical card and the doctor gave him synthetic THC and he also said its nothing compared to the natural herb although its sad that still doesn't help him that much as he has insomnia bad. I think this is also partly because of where we live non-medical herb it not top-par :(. We are both Canadian, I would love to get a medical card for tourettes if I could...

15. Gets annoying seeing everyone else getting free medicine when I have to pay half my wage packet on it and it should be as free as it was grown! Just keep breaking the law, safest option

16. Marijuana, Healing Of The Nation :smoke:

17. omg really? can anyone prove this is tru?. i have mild tourettes and ive been smokin for a year and it helps a little but can it really help that much?

18. Read the granny links.
    Most importantly, use your own judgement on how much certain strains help you.
    This is why we should be allowed to grow our own strain choices legally!

19. With a wealth of scientific evidence like this, it's really disheartening that our elected officials still believe the propaganda and fight against legalization. I've not regretted my decision to use marijuana for "idiopathic epilepsy" rather than traditional meds, even though my state doesn't have MMJ. Understanding and application by the individual is the greatest threat perceived by the medical community and in my opinion the reason why so many of those well educated and worldly professionals refuse to acknowledge it's potential.