Touch and Go Clones

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by miketool21, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Ok so I took 3 6 inch clones, one from each of the 3 different mothers. I cut with a razor, cut slits, used powder, and into the soil they went, 6 inch pots too. They all have humidity domes. 2 of them have been strong since they perked up on day 2. About 3 days after I took the cuttings, I watered them all. The 2 seemed to like it, but one didn't. So here is the question.

Why would my clone, after being about 3 days old and otherwise very healthy, suddenly droop down miserably after the first watering? Is there such a thing as watering shock? Like the first watering? I can't figure it out.

2. Could be a one of several reasons, most likely you have an air embolism. Not much you can do if that is the case. I have found that make you first cut on the mother a little down farther on the stem an then make your final 45 degree cut just below the node but do it under water so no air gets trapped. Also a rooting gel seems to work better also to avoid this.

3. #3 miketool21, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
    irocdan68, you were right. air embolism. out of my league to think of that. I pulled it and sure enough it came out with no roots. I looked at the bottom and it looked like a chewed straw. I took it over to a filled sink and cut it underwater an inch above the embolism. The bottom looked fine and was not hollow when I cut it again. I hope it pulls through.