Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Totally new toker questions.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Trazis, Oct 25, 2010.

1. So I'm totally new to the herb, and Im looking to order a piece off of Gc, but I'm not sure what kind I want.

The first, and only time I smoked; it was out of makeshift bong my friend made from an Arizona can. The smoke wasn't too hot and I enjoyed it quite a bit, which makes me think I'd like smoking out of bong. But I don't have a way of concealing a bong so a spoon or pipe is the best option for discreetness for me.

So a friend of mine gave me his older sisters spoon that she doesn't use any more and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I've never smoked out of a spoon and I don't have any screens, Is there a way to make a screen so that when I inhale I wont suck in the ash and what not?

2. usually under the part of your sink that water flows out of there are screens in there and you just have to get them out with a knife

3. well for a screen just break off a little piece of nug that is just large enough to cover the hole in the bottom. Then add your ground weed on top of that and smoke away.

Welcome to the city!

4. ^^^ what the above guy said.

Save yourself some money and just use the pipe you already have. Use your money for more necessary expenses (Like bud :smoking:)

also, dont grind your bud up super fine in the pipe, just break off tiny little pieces of nug and put them in the bowl. It should burn longer and create less smoke inbetween hits ( the bowl wont cherry for long)

also, cover the bowl inbetween hits if you dont want your spot to stink. Ganja smoke doesnt stick around for very long, but for the time it does, it will reek...

Happy toking :D

5. Is the smoke really harsh when you take it from a spoon?

Also like I said I'm totally new to spoons so there's a hole on teh side of the bowl, the carb I think its called, I have to hold my thumb or finger over that while I'm inhaling right?

Lastly is the smoke from a spoon bad like bad from a cigarette? Cause its not filtered like with a bong?

sry for all the questions btw

6. its all good dude,

The smoke might be a little hot compared to a bong, but if the stem (the tube leading to the mouthpiece) is a decent length, the smoke should be pretty smooth.

Yes, you hold you thumb over the carb while inhaling. I usually dont plunge the carb until the spoon just fills with smoke. then plunge and take the smoke into your lungs. You can actually do this 2-3 times in a single hit, that way you get a good hit without the smoke turning stale in the chamber.

Marijuana and tobacco are in no way similar. Marijuana has never been linked to any kind of lung cancer, and the active substances in ganja (THC and other cannabinoids) actually have cancer fighting properties. So in short, no. If anything cannabis is actually good for your lungs (THC has expectorant properties as well, clearing your lungs of phlegm and other things)

7. Cannabis may be good for your lungs but ANY smoke ever is not good for your lungs

8. Wow Gc is seriously the shit you guys are great at responding lol I thought Id have to wait like at least a few days to get a response. So first off thanks so much guys and gals! You rock:hello:

Last thing I swear, Im still a bit confused on the whole inhale let go of the carb thing. So I inhale while lighting the bud, but then the smoke just goes to my lungs how does the spoon fill up?

9. As you inhale through the pipe the smoke will go through the spoon, filling it up, and into your lungs.

Question: stale weed/smoke?

10. No like with the Arizona bong I just sucked in air and my friend did the thing with the carb whatever that is, and no its good weed I just said smoke cause I didnt know what else to put.

So idk how to phrase it, but like I just hold the lighter over the bud and breath in and it pulls the flame to the bud and ignites it then the smoke, thc air goes into my lungs, when do I let go of the carb?

11. the carb is there to make an airtight seal on the spoon. When the seal is on (thumb over the carb) the smoke will fill into the spoon, "milking it" you might say. when you let go of the carb, it forces air into the piece, pushing the smoke into your lungs. This can be repeated in order to ensure a big, fresh hit.

And Eltoro, yes, smoke in general is not good for your lungs. But cannabis smoke has NEVER been linked to lung, brain, or any other type of cancer or respiratory illness. So smoking cannabis may not be the ideal way to consume the herb (vaporizers FTW) but smoking herb is not going to cause any major health problems unless you have underlying psychological illness.

And even then, smoking ganja once in awhile isnt going to cause psychoisis or depersonalization (a common ailment among smokers with underlying pshychological illness)

12. WaterlessFish, if smoke remains in the pipe for too long, yes, smoke will become "stale". It doesnt lose any of its potency, but the smoke will lose taste and smoothness if it remains in the pipe for too long. The most common piece that accumulates "stale" smoke is a bong, because sometimes people dont entirely clear them before passing the piece in the circle.

13. I don't really think steelhound has given you the answer you're looking for; so you release the carb when you think you've filled your lungs up maybe 90% of the way, then keep inhaling to clear the smoke out of your pipe. Then pull the piece away, hold it in for a few seconds, exhale, and enjoy. :smoke:

14. meh, that's my preferred technique for smoking through a spoon. In short...

inhale, clear, inhale, clear

rinse and repeat :smoking:

I dont really own a spoon though. I own a pretty nice steamroller though :hippie:

15. ahhh now I get it cool ye thanks so much Steelhound but ye waterless hit it on the head aight so the carb is just so you can get the smoke thats in the spoon out, so instead of pulling air through the flame and weed the air comes through the carb getting the las bit of smoke into you lungs cool. thnx guys Ima clean out the spoon and make my first pickup tomorrow, I'll post pics if I can.

Gc is seriously the shit looking forward to being a part of the city.

16. release your thumb from the carb right when your lung are 90-95% full of air. It clears the smoke from the pipe and gets you some semi-fresh air

17. I'll do that with my bubbler. :bongin:

18. It's six seconds in your lungs before you exhale right?

And whats a steamroller?

19. I've had a few bubblers in my toking career. They're nice, but i HATE cleaning them. Such a pain

20. Six seconds sounds like a decent amount of time to hold it in. As for the steamroller, dunno. Never heard of it. :confused:

Personally i think cleaning a piece is pretty easy. I'll just put rubbing alcohol, epsom salt, and my bubbler/pipe in a ziploc bag and carry it around with me and kinda swirl it around in a my hands for a while (inside my apartment, just to be clear). Then I just empty out the bag, let my piece dry, and it's super clean. :D