totally new-live in studio w/ gf, want to grow 1-2 plants help plz :)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by XZit, Sep 3, 2009.

1. #1 XZit, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
    Hello all.
    I'm new to the mary j growing scene. I've always wanted to grow plants, and I consider myself to have a green thumb.
    My situation now allows me to grow plants-I live with my gf and her and I want to grow 1-2 plants, just enough for her and I/personal. We live in a studio-rather small, there are 2 cats. We need to maximize space. Pref. I could possibly build a grow chamber for our purposes (suggestions?)

So in the small studio there is enough room for a small cabinet--about 2 feet long (no more) and up to 4-5 feet could fit (ideally shorter)

I have a lot of reading to do on specifics on how to grow---but if someone could suggest a good light setup, and good suggested growing setup for our situation that would be greatly appreciated! I basically need a place to start looking, and get some ideas for bulbs/lights etc.
    smell is of no issue--we live in an area where smell will be vented so no one can smell (studios in backyard or renter), and whats ironic is the renter of the studio grows downstairs in our small studio.

THanks for any help to point me in the right direction! (and yes I'm currently reading the stickys)

pz

2. Would you just ask the guy who is growing below you? Stickys will answer all questions take a few weeks to go through them.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

3. I'll answer any questions you have. I appear to know much more than you dispite your 1,096 posts :)eek:Holy SH!T:eek:). I just popped on grasscity before bed and i'll devote my whole pre-bed grasscity sesh to your cause:)

Lets start with the chamber, then work from the ground up:hello:

Ok , so a chamber or box is a crucial part of your little project, It will preferably be airtight and at least 2X2X4 (that seems about optimum for a small grow with high yield i guess). Now, I have seen people use crap for chambers (cardboard boxes) but i don't recommend it. Use an old small cabinet or something, it's not hard to go to the good will store and pick up some crap furniture that would work great for a grow box.

Inside of the box - should be lined with Mylar (2mm preferably, 1 mm rips easy), a 97% reflective material that will dramatically increase the lumens (measure of light output) your plant is exposed to.

Pots- well, general rule is 1 gallon of pot space for every 1 foot of plant height, so based off of how big your chamber is, buy pots accordingly.

Soil to put in said pots- Fox farms ocean forest or happy frog, just a great soil that's awesome for first timers. get enough to fill your pots:smoking:

Nutrients - You can do your own personal research if you'd like but some of the biggest names in nutes are Advanced Nutrients, Fox farms, Flora nova, well.. actually i'm not going to list them all. Just get Flora Nova Grow, and Flora Nova Bloom. Easy nutes, hard to mess up with although they are thick like mud I like them and have never had problems with nute burn

Seeds- Attitude seed bank. Just do yourself a favor. Make an account (you can use all your real info, its international and there is NO way the cops would ever go through all the hastle of bugging an international firm over something so small when there are people like Budslinger on here) and get seeds that are dank. You'll know what your growing and what to expect, it'll be much more fun. Pay with a money order if you are super paranoid.

Lighting - This (Hydrofarm - Hydrofarm FLCO125D System Comp Fluorescent 125W Day) will be perfect for your vegitative state (it's cheepest on overstock.com, get them while they are there as they won't be there for long at 117 bucks!). When you grow there are two stages to plant growth, vegitative growth and flowering growth , they both need different lights. The vegitiative growth is just you trying to make your plant huge, so when you flower it, mega buds occur. Do this by trying to replicate the sun with a Metal Halide (HID lighting is very hot) or a CFL (like the one in the link) with 6500k (color temperature, it looks more blue). For flowering you want a 2700k bulb (looks more orange), if you can just have a ratio of 3:1 2700k to 6500k during flowering so your plant grows alot while still producing buds. the 2700k bulb replicates the sun during fall and will promote budding. There is another aspect to lighting during vegitative state your light should be on either 24 hours a day (24/0, day/night respectivly) or 18/6. Although studies show 24/0 is 33% faster veg growth in some strains, so i'd just do that if i were you, can't hurt. When you flower switch to 2700k as your primary bulb and ahve the lighting at 12/12 . Shorter light cycles promote budding on your plant.

Well, thats the basic gist of it. There are many more variables (heat, ventilation, watering ect.) that I would be happy to chat with you about, just ask!

Night GrassCity.

4. #4 XZit, Sep 3, 2009
    he grows hydroponically. I don't have room for it. :(

I've been around for a while. Check out my salvia thread in the general forum--very popular. I know a shit load about herbal extractions/legal highs, and extraction of "other things" but not a thing about growing mary j---totally newb here in that department! but I learn fast. :p

Couple questions: I see lots about germination and I'm confused on which method is the best?
    I have a bunch of bag seed--its old though (and a mix of various strains), I dunno if any of it will sprout--I have about 50 seeds, I thought I would chance it with those seeds, and buy some seeds as well.

So essentially I line the chamber with mylar. Have the light cycle 24/0 (or 18/6) then switch to a 12/12 cycle for flowering? When do I switch from the vegetative to the flowering stage?
    What do I do with the nutrients? Do the nutirents get sprayed on the germinated seeds and the plants? Whats the "feed cycle" for plants/when do they get fed?
    I basically need a good write up on every stage---I'm checking out the main sticky---any other reads that are good for me?

5. Oy.. be careful growing with a girlfriend. If you guys split up... it could get ugly. Been there, stressed that after.

6. If you're growing in your living space...you might want to check out some of the Rubbermaid grow boxes. Super stealthy and downright creative. ;)

7. hydro can be done in small areas...
    dwc is a good example... flood table also...
    read up my friend..there are many stealth grows here in the city..;)..
    docmojoman.has a nice little set up..look in the journal section...
    see what others are doing..It may give you the direction you want to go...

peace./.

8. I'm going to have to agree with Budslinger. I would love to sit down with you like a financial advisor and explain to you your options with all sorts of cool charts, graphs and pictures, but i'm pretty sure you can figure most of the stuff out. it is possible to have a VERY small hydro setup. take the aerogarden for example, not the best for growing weed but many people have used that 1 gallon hydro and had success. i'm not going to say growing with your girlfriend is a bad idea or anything ; but growing with your girlfriend is a bad idea. . . I'm still willing to answer any questions you might have along your journey. just post on this thread or PM me or whatever.

9. #9 yesicancancan, Sep 3, 2009
    Do not grow with your GF. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and growing MJ is generally a felony. Even if you never break up, just having a second person knowing about your grow is a very bad thing.

Sounds like plenty of space, I'm surprised Budslinger didn't mention reading up on SCROG though that is probably what you will want to do, scrog a single plant.

Your lighting generally depends on how much heat you can deal with. HID is generally the way to go if you can deal with the heat. A cooltube can help a lot.

I'd run a carbon filter anyway, a felony is a felony is a felony and that smell is probable cause.

Keep reading and GL!

10. thanks for more links fellows! And thanks for looking out for a bro with the notes on gf.

I'll keep reading and looking around, if I have any specific questions I'll post up! :)

pz

11. sup guys I thought of a few questions that I need a simple answer/link to.

Germination stage--how to do it (the "best way") then what do I do with the seeds after? (i.e. put them into __ feed them with ___)

How long is vegetative state for? When do I switch from vegetative state to flowering? How long is flowering stage for?

What is the feeding period? Is this done in a spray bottle? How often is watering preformed?

If someone could point me in the best direction that would be awesome! Lots of links out there/ways to grow-I'm a bit confused... :p

12. easy hydro setup would be a bubble bucket.... who doesnt have space fot a 5 gallon bucket w/ a light over the top of it? hell you might be able to get 2-3 buckets in the space you're wanting to grow... i personally grow in a closet and i make sure that their dark time is at night so there is no light leakage. it took about 7 sprouts die before i figured out what i was doing wrong... but the sole survior is doing good. its about 7 days old and its first "true leaves" are about a 1/2" long already... its bagseed so i dont know the specific strain, but knowing my regional topography its probably a mexican sativa strain which is typical in this area.... but with a lil tlc it's bound to be some dank when its time (if its a female.... lets keep our fingers crossed.

13. hey Xzit, to answer some of your questions :

The germination stage is easy. You can either just pop your seeds right in the soil and water, or put them in a moist papertowel in a room temperature dark place until the taproot pops out. once the taproot pops out, you end up putting it in the soil anyways. when they are seedlings don't overwater and don't give them too intense of light.

You switch from vegitative to flowering whenever you want, (generally around two months). the longer you go in veg state, the more buds you'l have at the end of flower. flowering stage is around 8-12 weeks long (after the veg cycle).

feeding cycles are differnet depending on which nutrients you use , generally, follow the directions on the bottle / 2 (just to be safe).

you water when you can stick your finger in the soil and pull it out and your finger is still dry. if your finger is still wet and has soil sticking to it, don't water.

14. #15 XZit, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
    Cool thx guys.
    I did a bit more reading, and checked out the bubble bucket design-I like it and I could prob. do 2 bubble buckets--but I can't figure out how to go abouts lighting the bubble bucket? Obiviously I need a light above the plants--perhaps put the bucket into a seperate grow chamber? (i.e. cabinet?).
    I've seen several cool setups-I'm just trying to figure out the best setup for my situation/space.

Another question just came up in my mind:
    When the seed is germinated/sprouted and starting to grow when would I switch from gentle lighting to regular vegetative state lighting? I read in one of the stickys that you do it once the plant has leaves growing?

pz

15. About a week after it sprouts. If you are running in soil that is a good time to re-pot your seedling into a lot more dirt also.

16. I'm trying to figure out the proper light setup.
    I've read about the Hallides, CFLS, and HPS. I read grandpas grow sticky in the forums and he states HPS lights are sufficient for vegetative and flowering stage? (and CFLS used in the very early stages ~1 week after seed germination).

What do you guys think is the best compact (and affordable) light setup for vegetative and flowering stage??
    I wanna start gathering up my materials so I can get my grow chamber setup and start germinating some of my seeds! :)

Thanks!

17. CFL's are cheap and Easy to work with.. Go to home depo and get like the 150W big ones and use like 3 of them.. (i think they were like 8$ a piece..)

18. ya I'll be using CFLS for the early stages of growth (for like 1-2 weeks) but I'm not sure what I want to use after that. Hallide or HPS. I hear HPS is a good way to go--will work for vegetative and flowering stage (just have to switch light cycle from 24/0 [or 18/6] to 12/12 w/ the same lights). Aren't Hallides expensive?

19. You supposedly have a neighbor who grows.. (which should be no ones business but his and who HE tells) you've been a member here at GC for almost 6 years.. you've got over 1,100 posts and yet you still dont know the basic shit about growing.

Suspect...