Totally confused which way to go with lighting.....

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by GrowMom, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Hello! First time grower here who has not even started to germinate... so please be patient with my ignorance :) I have done a lot of research on lighting, and for my DIYgrow cabinet (3x3x6), small budget, and (1) plant. I am undecided which lighting to go with for veg stage.....Is either one better or worse? Your thoughts? Thank you!!!!

FOUR T3 Spiral CFL - 42 Watt - 150W Equal - 6500K Full Spectrum Daylight
    63 Lumens per Watt = 2646 lumens per bulb = 10,584 lumens & 600W equiv.
    $8.00ea = $32.00
    TCP 48942-65K - 42 Watt - CFL

OR

THREE CFL 65 Watt - 250W Equal - 6500K Full Spectrum Daylight Bulbs
    (62 Lumens per watt= 4030 per bulb/ 3=12,090 Lumens & 750 watt equiv.)
    $15.00ea = $45.00
    65 Watt Compact Fluorescent CFL 6500K Full Spectrum Daylight

2. @GrowMom
    [​IMG]
    I hate to see anybody get to far down the CFL path as it's a basic dead end..
    Buy the basic 23 watt jobs if you must go that route.. Name brand GE or Sylvania do best..
    The trouble with them is at replacement time your tossing the whole fixture, ballast lamps and case.. Gets pricy tossing the whole works rather then just replacing a few T5 lamps or a single MH or HPS lamp..

[​IMG]
    I use T5 high output for my vegging as I'm working in a garden shed with a very low ceiling so fluorescents worked out best for this arrangement..
    Got 2 of the fixtures from Home Depot as open boxes at half price.. Re-lamping T5s is about half the cost of my old CFL rig that covered a 1/4 of the space at the same 400 watts..
    BNW

3. Thank you BNW :) I was really worried about being strapped for space, so CFL was my first thought. I actually was checking out this fixture, should fit fine in my cabinet....
    T5 LIGHT