Total novice seeking advice and feedback (photos)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TEC09, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Looking this up on Amazon now! I wouldn't have thought this type of gel bead product would be strong enough to cover a weed odor but it's a relief to know that it does. I SO aspire to have an entire room in my home or better one day a detached structure outside my home that I can deck out and grow in on a large level. I know the only thing keeping me from being confident enough to invest in that financially is knowing that I have several good smaller scale grows behind me and then I know I'll be all in. Paying top dollar for something I can grow myself and will eventually enjoy growing seems not only pointless but a little unfair (lol but serious). I can't wait! I fear my impatience and excitement may have been hurting my attempts to date. I'm trying to chill but this plant is my Kryptonite! <3 <3 :weed-4::weed-4::weed-4:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tec0 feel free to add a little coconut milk or water both will help alot check organic threads for loads of great surprising info on other things your plants love. Also sugar yeast and warm water in a 2 litre bottle half full is your own easy c02 generator... rose petals are ment to work magic. .. highest vibration in the plant world but iv not tested it yet..

• Like Like x 1
  3. just been accepted to trial nano growing tech check out NANOtechnology on Instagram not sure what to think hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  4. I would really like to connect with you 1-1 because every time you post I want to know more. Co2 is not a huge issue now (assuming outside air is a sufficient source for a seedling). I am opening a large window 12 hours of it's 18 hour light period. I would love to know the recipe (ratio of ingredients) for that 2 liter bottle sugar/yeast/water concoction. Do I combine,shake,wait for bloat and open in the tent? This sounds like an affordable option and something I will definitely want to do as odor becomes an issue as not to have to open a window and have the community smell that I'm growing. Also, do I add the coconut water/milk to every watering? Is there a ratio to keep in mind of coconut suspension/water?

5. Don't be afraid to fail...esp when it comes to growing. It's more of an art than a science imo...kinda like cooking, becoming skilled takes practice & time. Hands on and with a good teacher is the best way to learn..

Tell you a little story...my first harvest was 5 years ago this summer. Wasn't too bad, I was going lone wolf style..not reaching out for help. My second harvest (couple months later) I got overconfident and start making mistakes. Fed some plants too much and nutrient burned them...some of the bud straight up sucked. I was pissed - wasted so much time and $ on seeds/nutrients/soil/energy. I was gonna quit, but I decided to ask a buddy of mine on the forum (who I knew grew) for some pointers. I had no clue how good he was, just saw that he had a pinned thread in one area of the grow forums so I figured he knew something. He gave me some advice and I used it...and went from going bs weed to some of the better weed I had ever smoked. Turned out he was a very talented grower and I stumbled upon a goldmine for learning.

So don't quit if you fall down. Crashing into the walls and figuring things out is how you learn...trial and error gives you intuitive knowledge on growing cannabis no book or tutorial can substitute for imo..

Anyway...what's up w/ your lighting situation? Does your ballast dim? Have you gotten any temp/humidity gauges? :smoking:

• Like Like x 1

6. That is hands down the BEST advice I've gotten thus far. <3 I did immediately purchase a hygrometer the moment you suggested it via Amazon. I'm a prime member (meehhh) and so it's should be here in 5-7 days anyways (ROFL). In the meantime I went to a nursery nearby where a friend grows tomatoes and corn. I asked her to bring her digital therm to my home to just see where I stand. My humidity is at 43% avg temp varies but in the day I used her equipment I learned a lot about my growing conditions that honestly surprised me and frustrated me at the same time. You are right you cannot guess at your temp or rely on a home thermostat. The tent needs it's OWN readings. I was stunned. I actually ran into another issue today and so I posted a new thread with new photos and accurate temp/humidity info this time. *Fingers crossed* Even if all goes well after all this worry and expense it may end up being a male. I've decided this investment is being mentally written off as a learning experience and should I manage to get lucky and end up with decent, smokable bud that would be a beautiful bonus. Keeping expectations low but working hard at this all the same. Meanwhile I'm loving this white rhino I copped in NW,DC earlier. The bong hits and chicken sandwiches out here will see me through the mental rigors of the financial losses I'm taking! xxo

• Like Like x 1
  7. Forgot to mention that my ballast is not dimmable. It's a 1k watt ballast. Nebula something..I forget the brand.
    THIS is what I'm worried about now this taco like folding up my serrated leaves are doing. I posted this pic in a separate thread. Humidity is at 43%. Temps range and I'm trying to control that. Avg temp is 76-82. A few cold nights here and a thermostat with a mind of it's own had me at 66 one night so I got a space heater in my room now with the tent. Are these leaves normal? or is there too much light/heat?

Attached Files:

8. Start is the worst. ..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. They're beautiful <3 Seriously I love cannabis even just as foliage. I would grow the plants in my home as decorative plants if they didn't require so much light and upkeep. What strain are they? All female? I notice you have them all in one container..does that ever get tricky when it's time to move them? Do roots get tangled? Do you ever snap roots and kill them trying to xplant them into larger containers?

10. And..what do you do when they get that tall and they can't hold thier weight? Have you ever had spouts with super thin stems that fell over after the first 2 sets of leaves? If so what's that shit about? Used to happen to me all the time.

11. Don't worry if your night time temps go into the mid 60's, that's fine. Upper 50's is more where the growth will start to get stunted. Are you taking a reading right where the plants are? Remember the monitor the hottest spots in the tent.

You don't need the space heater bc your temps are okay...and they create very dry/hot air, which cannabis plants tend to not like.

I know this is hard...but leave your plants alone :p haha

There's no need to spray them everyday. Putting water on them everyday would be like if they got rained on every day in nature - which doesn't happen. Try to mimic mother nature whenever you're not sure as to whether what you're doing is right or not.

Seedlings take some coddling, you need to be patient with them. At this stage, foliage growth will occur slowly...she's busy growing an intricate root little bulb...once that's in place she'll start shooting out leaf sets very quickly. Until then tho...be prepared for some 'slow going.'

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I start training them at about the age you see them in the photo I sent. if I did have a really weak one I would probably prop it up with a stick or a paperclip giv it's stem a squeeze so it has some repairs to do and maybe even add a couple mill seaweed extract to its watering as they are great for helping root production.. if you focus on building a strong root structure you are setting yourself up with a plant that will bounce back quickly so training becomes easier etc..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Why not just put the seedlings in separate plastic cups? Then you don't have such a mess trying to separate them later. Costs a couple bucks at walmart and all you have to do is poke a drainage hole in the bottom. I even buy different colored cups so I can separate strains without labeling anything.

I wouldn't advice a new grower to use clear containers either...once light hits those roots they will get damaged. Roots darkness.

Anyway...update from the OP?

Hopefully your little ones are doing alright. It's perfectly fine to check on your plants several times per day...but be patient and avoid spraying/watering them all the time when they're so young. Just as they can be under watered they can be over watered too. There's a cycle of watering, the plant absorbing water/nutrients, growing a little, then needing water/nutriens again. The root bulb likes oxygen so keeping it 100% saturated all the time isn't a good idea & causes root rot.

• Like Like x 1

14. Update: Plant #1 did not make it. I don't know what happened as both were treated exactly the same. The cyto leaves became half yellow/half really light green, the stem became very thin and 2 days after it fell over due to an inability to support it's own weight..it dried up and died. Plant #2 was always the winner. She (doesn't hurt to hope lol) has 2 sets of serrated leaves now. The second set came in much faster than the first set and I can literally see some growth each day. She no longer requires misting (initially the first two serrated leaves got yellow on the tips. Idk if this was nutrient burn from (before I laid off on the watering a bit) or if it was light burn. At any rate she is tolerating the heat and light just fine now. I have ordered 2 - 400w MH bulbs but idk if I want to change what the plant is used to especially now that it seems she's tolerating the light better than when she was smaller. She's still very tiny and I'm sure still considered a seedling. She is now my only survivor. I have taken the dixie cup suggestion and now have a dozen sprouts working. These are mystery bagseed so I'm just going to go all in and try to grow several as opposed to just one at a time. In the event any are male having so many germinating will ensure that I have a few females. I have a larger tent on the way in the event many survive and are female so that I don't run into a situation where my small tent cannot accommodate all of my ladies. I would like to move so that I can ditch tents altogether and turn a bedroom into a grow room. Pics attached of the surviving plant as well as the setup of the sprouts (not yet emerged) in the dixie cups. I really hope this is the beginning of me becoming a successful grower. Anxious to get this down so that I can order expensive seeds and begin growing my favorite strains. I think I'll start with Ghost Train Haze and Kali Mist. I hear they're a bit hard to grow but- yeah my luck.

Attached Files:

15. I actually read it! Lol. I think I had come across that article in the past as the result of some googling but never read it. It offered some decent advice. I just needed to back off. I'm mildly offended that the plant is doing better without me than it was with me but..it is what it is!

16. #57 TEC09, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    I have been asked about my ballast and have determined it is a Nebula 4.0 ballast. There is a button on one side of the ballast that has settings marked "400w","600w","1000w" and the most intriguing one of all "super lumen" which just sounds amazing lol. Presently it's set to "600w". I have heard that these ballasts are not good (they don't last) any suggestions on a GOOD brand? I am buying a backup next payday.

Attached Files:

17. Hey im not posting anywhere but here atm so thought id post an update hope u don't mind ^^ .....

So just added some horse manure as a top layer and taking noots away for a couple day. About an hour ago.... praying already they are loving it..anything organic is just like bonus points... plus one was using its own leaves for nitro so gives it a nice boost after a dose of Epson and syrup to help with lock out.. seeing nice crystal development as of last night also so happy days :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Had to get a photo of my biggest out^^ sexy feet too :p

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karako they are gorgeous!!! How old are they? What strain is this? Do you grow to smoke, sell or both? And the feet lol if you got em,flaunt em! Noticed some coke bottles in your pics..what are those for? Trying to soak up everything cuz I know I'll need to know about this later stage of growth very soon!!

• Like Like x 1