Total Noob Striking Out

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SoulDread, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm only growing one plant as a trial run to get my skill down pact before I invest more so I don't screw up.

My baby isn't looking too good. It's been growing for about 2 1/2 weeks. I took it outside once and it suddenly rained and the stem bent over (weak stem bc of incandescent light stretching). So I repotted the plant just below the coteyledon (sp.?), got 2x daylight CFLs @ 20W and 1190 Lumens each. I have the lights about 2-3 inches away. Temp is about 70F. Using a blend of Espoma's seed starter (75-85% sphagnum peat moss, peat humus, perlite, and dolomitic limestone with a bunch of microbes), I also potted with worm castings, and sprayed with a blend of Soil Mender's liquid Fish and Kelp Fertilizer.Now my baby's coteyledon have died and barely hanging on, the first leaves (from the bottom) turned yellow last night and this morning they are now turning brown. I'm thinking about cutting them off so the plant can use more energy to make more leaves instead of healing itself. I might've over watered, but I'm not sure. I watered until water came out of bottom , just like I do my basil and aloe vera plant, which are growing beautifully.

Oh yeh...the growth seems to stunted as far as height goes, but I've got new leaves coming in, with 3 sections instead of the typical 7 section leaf. I just really hope whatever is wrong doesn't spread. My readings say Nitrogen def., but with the fertilizer and worm castings I didn't think that was so. Any suggestions?

**Disclaimer** The attached images may or may not be mine. And they may or may not be what you think they are. Nahmean son?

Attached Files:

2. 1) do not remove the yellow leaves. Your plant is sucking nutrients from those leaves in order to continue with new growth. Your plant isn't expending energy to keep them alive, they are giving energy to keep the plant alive.

2) I'd say it was the liquid fish that did it. Either that or overwatering. That seedling is absolutely not N deficient (seedlings don't get N deficient, especially in a medium with worm castings). How much liquid fish did you use per gallon?

3) the 3 section leaves are normal for a seedling. Next set it puts out will probably have 5, then maybe another 5, then 7, etc.

3. Also get rid of the foil its not helping

4. Hey thanks ITG for replying. The company suggested 1oz/gal and I honestly eyeballed the amount. I most definitely will measure and wait until the plant grows more to use nutes. You think the liquid fish & kelp burned the leaves? btw...you're organic soil recipe is just what I was looking YOU ROCK. I just need to find everything. I've really been freaked out by all the chemical fertilizer used in mj. Where I live a lot of the good stuff has a chemical scent when burned...no bueno. Eat organic; might as well smoke organic lolz.

5. Thanks for replying Bud. Is the foil bad? I didn't have access to mylar so I used the next best reflector I had, Al foil. It seems to make the light a lot brighter, which I assume is more beneficial.

6. I wouldn't take outside at all . I've killed more than one plant like that. Plus they barely need notes at that stage. Too much chemical will kill fast. Personally I'd start with more than one, Cruz or bound to kill some. So hope it's feminized seed, ten seeds out my first grow weren't feminized and 7 turned to male or hermie do to stress! Try to just leave alone. The plants I don't touch always do better. . Lol its kind off a joke round here

7. Yea foil makes hot spots on the plant and can cause burns..... Go grab flat white paint reflects like 86% compared to Mylar which is at 96%

8. Tin foil only reflects approximately 20% of light. You are better off painting the walls with flat or matte finish white paint

9. Yea the paint isn't that far off from the Mylar

10. there is no way its nitogen def them plants are to young to have any defincey your never supposed to feed a plant that young that might be the problem. probably is going to be over fert or some other kind of burn.

11. soil has enough nutes in it for the plant for its first 2-3 weeks of life thats why i said it couldnt be lack of nutes and to early for lock out in my experince so the only thing i can think of is that you over nuted you plants. foil is not bad btw just makeshure your useing the dull side that is a common myth. put the dull side faceing the plants and the shiney side faceing the wall. what are your temps like? what have you been feeding them?

12. Hey Soul. Seen any improvements?

And with regard to tin foil, you'd be better off with just flat white painted walls. Far more reflective than tin foil, and way easier.

13. Thanks everybody for replying. The help and tips are much appreciated. An update: The yellowed leaves are gone and a new set of leaves are sprouting. All leaves are a sexy green now. I have a feeling that I might've over-watered. I haven't watered for 4 days and the soil is still damp just below the surface. Maybe the early transplant caused a lag in growth. The main stem is still super skinny, perhaps I need to learn some patience :cool:. It's all so exciting, overwhelming at times, but mostly EXCITING!!!

I definitely will investigate this mylar/flat white paint.

14. To make the steam stronger get a fan and have it blowing on it a little bit.

15. Hello all. I want to give an update with new photos. I've gotten a lot of new growth and I will be starting nutes tomorrow. I'm going to do a blend of an EWC tea and (I think) 1/4 power of my fish & seaweed fertilizer. 1/4 power bc its only the 3rd week. And I will increase from there.

I've gotten new growth with a little mishap. While trying to adjust my light for the new height it fell on the plant w/o me noticing and it burned my baby. AHHH!!! I hope I can still get a female out of it and not a hermi. I guess a male could make some deec hash. Good thing is it is still growing and the burned leaves are self-pruning so it's gotta be a pretty healthy plant. I finally got my 5 section leaves and I have these cool baby leaves growing from the nodes.

I also have 5 new plants that are growing wonderfully. I'm gonna need more lights, I think I'm going to pot into 2-gallon dirt bags by Hydrofarm, and I need a bigger box (I'm growing in a large 3ft x 2ft x 4 ft box for heat and light preservation...saving up for a modest sized grow tent)

In one photo you may notice how the leaves are kinda spiked up. I raised the light a bit to get some height. Did the leaves "spike up" bc I raised the light or for some other reason? Is height just part of the maturity process? Thanks for any advice, tips, etc.

Attached Files:

16. plants don't herm during veg, it's either female or male

herm happens to a female during flower

17. You need lights that are 2700K and 6000K.

18. Are you saying that I should run the daylight and soft white bulbs at the same time?
    Right now I'm running lights I that are 2x 5000K and 2x 5500K.

19. Whew that's good. Bc I added two more lights for almost 100 watts. I left home for about 6 hours, came back and my baby grew into the lights and burned 2 more leaves. YIKES. But the growth from 2 xtra bulbs was crazy:D