1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

Total Beginner

Discussion in 'Absolute Beginners' started by Quickbeam, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Well, I know you guys get a crap-load of guys coming in and asking you to do their thinking for you about growing, but its always better to ask and not screw up =)

I was thinking about starting a little indoor closet setup with some bagseed, since it is my first time. I have an empty closet in my house, I have about half of it I could use, like 3.5' x 2' x 5.5' chunk of space, (I could make it smaller to make the light work harder) and I was trying to spend as little money as possible, and was looking into those compact spiral fluorescent bulbs, like this, http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=6699 and had a few questions. First I was only thinking of growing 1 plant, how many of these do you think I would need to grow some decent bud (you know, just bottom of the line stuff that simply works). Also, what would I be looking for as far as fixtures go? I saw some really cheap "mogul base," I think they are called, fixtures at the hardware store, would those be fine? I can get my Dad to help me with the wiring, thats no big deal, what should I be looking for, if I don't want to spend a lotta cash?

I could get one of those little timer things for pretty cheap, so that wouldn't be a big deal, since it is only one plant, do I really need to worry about ventilation? How about smell, although it could probably smell pretty strongly and still be safe, how bad will it smell?

2. I use the compact flourescents too. You can use as many as you want, the more the better... a minimum is probably 2 to be on the safe side. Buying a mylar saftey blanket for $2 is well worth it since it reflects light so well.
    I'm not sure what you mean by fixtures, my lights are hooked up with electrical wires and a light socket ($2 per light) because I didn't have enough lamps. The lights have their own ballast so they can plug right into a normal lamp, or you can cut them open and not even bother with the socket.

3. Well, I am what they like to call "a poor bastard," most of those hps setups are out of my price range... what about the smell?

4. "Well, I know you guys get a crap-load of guys coming in and asking you to do their thinking for you about growing, but its always better to ask and not screw up =)"

-It's cool. These are pretty inteligent question, it's a lot better than "can I grow bud with black lights and urine?". I'll help you out the best I can.

"I was thinking about starting a little indoor closet setup with some bagseed, since it is my first time. I have an empty closet in my house, I have about half of it I could use, like 3.5' x 2' x 5.5' chunk of space"

-Cool... you definately got a nice little space; but you're probally going to want to microgrow, if you only have a few plants. Plus microgrowing can be a lot more stealthy than just a closest full of budding plants.

"(I could make it smaller to make the light work harder)"

-^^^^^ Yup yup.

"I was trying to spend as little money as possible, and was looking into those compact spiral fluorescent bulbs, like this, http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=6699 "

-Yep, thoose will work for growing. Although you can just a much better set up for a few more bucks than that.

"and had a few questions. First I was only thinking of growing 1 plant, how many of these do you think I would need to grow some decent bud"

-Well most grower try to get about 50 watts per sqaure foot. So if thoose are 26 watts each, then about 2 per sqaure foot.

"(you know, just bottom of the line stuff that simply works)."

-That would be the cheapest "bottom of the line" stuff, but seriously for a couple bucks more you can have better equipment.

"Also, what would I be looking for as far as fixtures go? I saw some really cheap "mogul base," I think they are called, fixtures at the hardware store, would those be fine?"

-Thoose cfls plug into anything.

"I can get my Dad to help me with the wiring, thats no big deal, what should I be looking for, if I don't want to spend a lotta cash?"

-Ah, I'm glad you asked. Go to e-conolight.com and look around for high pressure sodium (hps) floodlights. You should be able to snag up a 70 watt hps for less than 50 bucks, shipped to your front door. If you or your dad is handy with electronics, you MIGHT be able to make it into a remote ballast hps with a separate reflector for the bulb tself.......

Also another steal is "Regent" 70 watt hps securitity lights. You should be able to find them at Home Depot or Lowe's for around 50 bucks. And there's TONS of information on how to make one of thoose into a grow light floating around. Go to overgrow.com and look through their FAQ's and articles, there should be a lot of information on how to turn one of these into a bud producing machine.

"I could get one of those little timer things for pretty cheap, so that wouldn't be a big deal"

-You're right again, you should be able to find one at wal-mart for a couple of bucks. I would recommend using at outdoor one, because they can handle more amps being pulled and are less likely to melt to the wall.

"Since it is only one plant, do I really need to worry about ventilation? How about smell, although it could probably smell pretty strongly and still be safe, how bad will it smell?"

-It's going to reek dude. But there's a real simple way around this. Check out this link.

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?t=414959

That's how you can fix that little problem.

But if you don't feel like spending the money on that little rig, and you happen to be a hippy wanna be like me, you can always just light up the nag chumba and let it do it's work..... Best odor control ever. I don't even wear colonge and girls always ask me what I'm wearing. I tell them it's my seceret.

Well the secrect is out, I just straight up can't get my clothes to stop smelling like inscense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My closing thoughts for you homie.

If you want the cheapest grow ever. Go to goodwill and buy you an old lamp then go to wal-mart and buy you a spirly compact floruscent, while you're there pick up some good sized flower pots, soil, and miracle grow nutrients, then go home.

Once you roll up at the crib, germinate some seeds. When they pop, put soil in the pots, and put the seeds in the soil. Wrap alunium foil over top of the lamp shade. But the spirly light in the lamp. Turn it on and place the puts underneath the lamp. And there you go, that's the cheapest you could possibly grow.

Now the best way for you to grow is to get the 70 watt, make a little grow box and start out with about 3 or 4 plants. (That way you'll get atleast one or two females). And in a space of about 1.25' X 1.25' you shoot for getting an ounce or a little under.

Think about it, that'll more than cover the 75 or 100 bucks that you might spend on the set up. And if you spend 18 bucks on some nirvana seeds from drchronicseeds.com then you will have an ounce of kb for less than 100 bucks. You can't beat that deal.

Hell you could sell a buddy a 1/4, and make your money back. Then smoke 3/4oz for free. All it will cost you in the long run is, a little time, a little reading, and little building, and a lot of love.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

5. Why thank you arse. That's much appericated. :D

6. good info Shorty! but like they all said, you can do it with cfl's, but the yield will be diminished. thats a long time for a lil over a quad. you could always use the cfls to veg with, you will have to for 5-6 weeks anyways giving you plenty of time to get the funds together for the hps, it would be so worth it in the end. and like everyone says, it pays for itself usually with the first harvest

Grasscity Deals Near You