Total beginner. All tips welcome

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by EdgarNigma, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Hello, friends!
    I'm an aspiring mj farmer getting his roots in a spare bedroom.
    5 years ago I started three seeds with only a book from the 70s. Two died and one was consumed by a kitty cat. All before they were 6"

I've recently received what was called a $30 feminized seed and no other description. This terrifies me because I'll be going in totally blind as to indica sativa or hybrid, but it was a freebie nonetheless.

So here we are. I started the beaut in a wet paper towel and baggy a week ago and three day ago planted it into some generic starting mix and a peat pot I had on hand. Its about 1.5" tall and starting to show its cotelydons. Very pleased I started my fluoros at 24/7 for the next 7 days.

This is the farthest I've come with the intent to follow through. I've been sponging up as much info as I can these last two weeks hoping for an arm sized bud to show off. 😉

My set up is very slim and almost all of it is going to be improvised and reused equipment from a farm. The only expense I'm considering is a MH and CFL light/ballast/timer set up that seems excellently priced.

Super unsure of whether I want to just solo plant and crop it out over the next few months or try to start some clones and straight up SOG it.

I'm unsure if this is even the right page for I am newer to forums than I am to pot.

Any suggestions welcome!

2. Sounds good so far! I would go with the MH bulbs! Brighter and keeps the room at a better temp. Grow this guy out and then you can clone the plant if its a true Femie plant. It will be way quicker then starting from seed and you already know the genetics! Cheers! 

3. MH and CFL ballast?

Do you mean MH and HPS? An HID setup? If so, good choice on lighting source. LEDs have their advantages, too, but CFLs...basically for a few small plants done in 3-4 months max from seedling to flowering a stealth grow.

Right forums, lots of knowledge here...ESPECIALLY lots of people willing to concede their way isn't the ONLY way, but who have technical knowledge behind WHY they do it their way, and will share it.

If it were me...how serious do you intend to get about growing? If you plan to get relatively serious, top it twice, go for a longer veg, topping BOTH branches created by the first topping, take a bunch of clones about 3 weeks before flowering (time to establish, so you know how many survived).

You won't wipe your plant, or even significantly impact her, just cut yield a hair (and ONLY a hair, compared to what new growers usually do), but you'll have anywhere from 4 to 10 live clones to work with, depending on how they pull through, for next cycle.

I'm a fan of cloning because of the "no seeds", "stable genetics", and "maintained flavor and potency" aspects...some people swear by seeds. Your choice which way to go.

4. If whoever gave you the seed knew it was a $30 feminized seed I would think they would have to know the strain in order to have that info. Look it up online and it will tell you about it. $30 a seed is ridiculous, just got seeds last week and in months of research never saw 1 that expensive. I would like to know what it is so I can check it out

5. There's some real high priced seeds. Cali Connection is close to that per seed for some questionable genetics.

6. I know there's high priced seeds, I just paid for my Christmas present to myself. Just if they spent $30 a seed, I would think they would know at least what strain it is in order to know its worth $30 or someone along the line could just be talking it up....good luck with your grow and above all have fun

7. #7 GoldGrower, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
    I agree, if they knew it was feminised, and that it was $30 then they must also know the strain. I would be suspicious to say the least.

For your first run I wouldn't worry about training or cloning. You will have so much to learn anyway, just concentrate on keeping it alive. At some point during this grow you will have 1 or a few strains in your head that you will want to try. Buy the seeds to try them next. Cloning an unknown plant might have you repeating a grow that you aren't getting the most out of because the strain might not be to your taste

8. True enough...still good practice, though <wink>

9. Cloning doesn't guarantee or make good genitics it passes on the genetics you already have, good or bad.

10. #10 GoldGrower, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  11. Read the guides on this site.
    After that re-read them.
    Kill the cat.

12. Holy smokes! Thought I would have been subscribed to my own post. Would have gotten back individually! Thanks for all the pointers. I'm contemplating cloning a few off "her" just because why not. Once I invest in the light I'm considering full on grow op. Stealth isn't an issue unless I go SOG. Its going to be legal soon, I just wanted to get a setup before so I can consistently provide decent smokables when the time comes. Plus I've needed some therapy with the BS of life always knocking you down and Mary Jane has always been an interest of mine.

I'm pretty sure I want to at least top her. Maybe LST with a screen. Reading a lot about it, is it really worth the extra effort?
    I'm using some extremely composted (6-8 years) horse manure/sawdust/peagravel mix. Its a gorgeous black loose soil and free.

As far as the cat goes there will be no more beasts in the grow zone.

13. Tried rotating the picture with no luck. There she is about an inch and a half. I put some dirt up around it just to add support. I also have a tiny desk fan giving some airflow.

Attached Files:

14. Totally forgot to get a pH meter. Yet another crucial tool. Any other unavoidable expenses I should look forward to?

At this point my two biggest worries are trimming for optimal growth. And using home grown nutes to beef my plant up. Less is more but I wanna get something that's not gonna kill my Lil lady.

15. why would stealth only matter if you did a sog grow? Its just as easy getting caught doing it sog as it is any other style. Legal state or not. Theives can take stuff just as easy as law enforcement. I hear just as many people concerned in legal states as I do non legal. Its going to be legal here in the near future for medical, patients are already filling out applications, as of now its not and laws are laws. Threives are theives Always be concerned about security.

16. I understand that. I'm not going and taking an ad out in the paper. But I do live out in the boonies and the only way I will be getting into any real trouble would be if I were to show up on the feds radar. What I meant by the SOG was at that point it would be for producing more than my own usage and therefore be higher profile for unwarrented attention.

17. lol now I get what you mean. I grow only for myself too, give friends a freebie from time to time, but they don't know where it comes from. I'm just the opposite of you check this out....

18. Johnny laws garage and pool from just outside my grow room....told ya I was in the opposite situation of you

Attached Files:

19. $30 for a seed? You done got ripped off. Or lied to. Seeds should go for $5-10 each.

20. Woo Nelly. Nope got a half mile behind my grow room. All trees and grassland. Every person on this 130+ acres is either growers or enthusiasts at least lol.