Torture Poll

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Digit, Oct 11, 2004.

?

Should Torture be permited/allowed/commited?

1. yes. (please share why below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. yes, but only if necessary. (please define below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no. though there may be circumstances where its necessary that i hadn't considered.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. no. (share why not below please)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't care. / other. (& 'splain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polling pollin pollin, keep those pollin\'s rollin. RAWPOLL! :D

2. Torture for what? I need details before I say YES!!!!!! :p

3. I mean, if it\'s torturing you because you don\'t provide the details...then my answer would be YES. Torturing someone for walking their cat would be a NO. Get me?

4. I voted no because if I get caught for toking then I would be fucked up in both ways...

5. like torture for information, for confessions, for fun... i dont know.... JUST TORTURE ALRIGHT!? the shit that Amnesty international are set up against. :p

thnx for keepin me on my toes wit the specifics. :)

6. I\'m saying yes but only because you listed fun and information. I don\'t need torture to get confessions...those come easy!!!!! :p

7. yeah, maybe you could share that with a few who dont understand how easy it is.

there b peeps out there that dont realise (or dont care) how many false confessions they get using torture.

8. Ok...I actually voted no...since I don\'t want the yes bar to get too big....but...here it comes:

A few years ago there was a serial killer in Germany. Had already (proof was presented!) killed 3 or so girls. Another one was missing. They had proof that he\'d kidnapped her, too, but had no proof he\'d killed her yet. So chance was she was still alive and he didn\'t deny it. Would you have tortured him to find out her whereabouts? Me? Belive me...I\'m against violence. But in this case....I\'d have gone medieval on his ass!!!

9. i actually found an instance when tourture WAS fun...it was russin roulette electrocution style. everyone placed a thumb on an electrode thingie and if the light fell on your spot, you recieved a \"zap\"...it was nerve racking but extreemly entertaining. not to mention it feels cool...

10. no.

never.

for any reason.

torture is a horrible thing that no living being should ever be subject too. the only time i can EVER imagine torture to be fair, would be as revenge against someone whom tortured someone else (hitler comes to mind..,) and even then, the original torture should of never happened in the first place. so it doesnt work.

torture is just horrible. i mean in extreme cases, say the Salem witch hunts, torture was used to get MANY false confessions out of people, not only that, but false accusations of withccraft targeted at friends and collegues, just to keep their fingers from being broken in a thumb screw, or perhaps having their jaws ripped off by one of thousands of machines that were born from the minds of what must be some of the worlds most discusting minds.

breaking someones bones, starvation, even hair pulling, should not be done in a maliscious way. there will never be a rightfull excuse for torture.

11. but what if he honestly didnt know the girls whereabouts? its likely he did, but im sure there are other ways to get the information... i dont know, guess its a touchy subject.

there will always be extreme cases, but more often than not, its just simply going to be torture, and never truly proove useful.

12. i\'m glad there are other peeps out there like myself and adam when it comes to this topic.

it was a question raised in first year religious education (gets called something else these days i think), if someone kidnapped your sybling or another close relative, would you comit torture upon them in order to discover their whereabouts?...
    it had me thinking about changing my initial reaction back then to the question i asked in the poll, which i originally thought NO WAY. but of course, once you get passed the anger, outrage and personal feelings on the subject that caould cause some unsound, irrational thinking, and follow the rational layed out by adam just there, you realise, (asuming you are ethical) that there really can never be any circumstance torture should be used.

i voted no, because it will always yeild far too many false results.
    there is always a better method, a more inteligent method, a less direct method that will yeild more accurate results.

anyways, enough waffle that no one will read... here\'s a link. :) http://www.amnesty.org/
    these guys do some really good work for a much under discussed and over forgotten cause. to think that this crap goes on still, even worse to think it goes on in our countrys! America is on Amnesty\'s list of naughty nations where torture is still an accepted practice among certain circles. Amnesty used to be more focussed on ust the issues of torture, but i suppose they soon realised they couldnt cover that without covering the whole gamut of human rights.

oh, and by the way, when i wrote fun, i didn\'t mean with consent, as if in a masochist way. thats another topic entirely. ;)

13. i voted Yes, but only if neccesary..........if someone kidnapped my family, i\'d be a \"man on fire\".......lol.....i\'d give Denzel a run for his money............their ass would be grass, and i\'d be the fu**ing lawnmower.......lol.....

however i\'m not a violent man, but sometimes it would be a means to an end, especially if they\'re bad bast**ds anyway!

i just hope that nothing would make me be in a mindframe to \"have\" to torture someone, like said above.........Peace out.........Sid

14. If someone does something sick and disgusting its because there mentaly sick. You dont torture sick people.

15. aghh but if he\'s sick, and has taken your entire family hostage/captive, then what chance does your family actually have, if the (pre-tortured) peson is incapable of rational thought, or any thought of humanity?

would you risk losing your entire family, when they could be saved.

only to look back years later, and say....\"well i lost 4 of my family, but i didn\'t torture the dude, and now he\'s still in the same condition in a psychiatric ward..........at least 1 human being survived\"?

or torture him a little, find what you want to know, save your family, and all 5 human beings survive...........and then if you feel apathy towards him, you could pay to get him some help afterwards..........i don\'t think it\'s possible to \"negotiate\" with a person who has a serious mental condition, his/her world, is far from the world that you and i know........ :(

Peace out.......Sid

16. I believe if someone commits a crime, especially a violent crime, then they should receive some sort of physical pain in return. Sitting in a jail ain\'t painful (unless your cellmate is a 6\'6\" guy named Bubba). So if we really want to get the message across that crime is wrong a bit of physical pain makes everyone think twice.

17. This is defanitly a touchy subject, it reminds me of.. The chamber..by grisham. That book will really challenge you views on the death penalty..no matter what you believe...

I think torture should be used, if and only if, overwhelming evidence shows that you have the right person. And if other non violent methods have already been tried, such as truth serum...(whats in that stuff anyways?)

but like sid said..there is no point in 4 people dieing when all you really need is to have tony rough him up a bit. You would defanitly want to have restrictions...because it could just as easily be you...in the wrong place at the wrong time.

While were on the subject of torture, do you guys know the Japanese\'s favorite way of killing U.S. troops in WW2?

They would make them swallow a hose..fill them full of water and jump on their stomachs. They would die in about 2 - 4 hours. ....I still really don\'t like the japanese.......that\'s just fucking sick.....I\'ll stop with my stoned ramblings now...

18. He did abduct her. They were positive. He did know where she was. Just didn\'t wanna tell\'em. The police tried every method in the book and time was running out for the girl. Belive me, I had no sympathy for the guy. This was the first and only time in my life I actually supported physical violence.

19. Of course, torture has done many good things for humanity and has made many a terrorist crack. Imo, certain people deserve it. Damn it would suck though...

20. ah, sorry, thought it was a hypothetical question...

in this circumstance, then i think i actually would be for it. aslong as it was somewhat humane...

and by that i mean, you can torture someone without drawing blood etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.