Tornado on the Sun

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Mogwai, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Saw this on the news earlier today. I dunno how rare it is, but it was caught on camera and it looks pretty fucking amazing to watch. I thought I'd share it

Vast solar tornado spied on the sun | Fox News
    (yee it's Fox, but it has a good video)

"
    The video was recorded by the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), a sun-watching satellite that has transmitted a series of stunning photos of solar flares in recent months. The new video shows darker, cooler plasma shifting back and forth above the sun's surface over the span of nearly 30 hours stretching from Feb. 7 to Feb. 8.
    And the giant tornado may be as large as the Earth itself, with gusts of up to 300,000 mph, explained Terry Kucera, deputy SOHO project scientist and a solar physicist with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center"

shit

• Like Like x 2
  2. fucking beautiful

3. I heard about it earlier and was coming to post a thread but say this. :laughing:
    Awesome footage, and too imagine a tornado the size of EARTH.

:eek:

4. I can't believe how goddamn big that thing is. Looking at the video it's hard to imagine that that swirling mess is as big as our planet.

5. The tornado isn't even the only cool thing in the video. The entire Sun looks fucking awesome

6. As big as Earth and gusts at 300k mph....
    [​IMG]

That's fucking awesome.