Torch?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by BearThug, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Is there a difference between the butane torches? I mean, there are some name brand ones that LHS sell and are $65+, while I go to lowes and see virtually the same thing just not as cool looking, but its only $40? Is there any difference?

2. Vector torches come with a lifetime warranty, they break, you get a free new one. Other than that I have no personal experience with the lows torches but if you're spending 40+ on a torch it will probably not give you any issues. Just don't get a propane torch, they emit noxious fumes and burn far to hot for dabbing applications.

3. yes, there is a big difference, i have a nitro and a bernz-o-matoc torch from the hardware store. for starters you need a butane torch, propane has harmful stuff in it that you dont want to be possibly inhaling, and also propane will cause titanium to oxidize fairly quickly. most cheap torches at the hardware store are propane. the butane torches you will find at the hardware store are A LOT less powerful and usually considerably smaller then a vector nitro (which is more then likely what you saw in the LHS)
    my nitro heats my 14mm titanium nail in 13 seconds, the cheap hardware store butane torch takes about a full minute. my buddy was using a cooking torch before we got the nitros, and that took around a minute as well, and was mostly made or plastic which melted after a few weeks, he had a second one and that melted as well.

i would just bite the bullet and get the vector nitro, they are just made alot better then most other torches out there. if you get a cheap one and it melts, or you drop it and it breaks cause its mostly plastic, then you have to replace it and spend more then the nitro. the nitro is mostly metal and can take plenty of drops and rough use, and has a lifetime warranty if it ever breaks.

4. So you would recommend the Vector Nitro over the rest of them?

5. Bed bath and beyond, super cheap.

[​IMG]

6. yea, i would recommend a vector nitro.

and that torch from bb&b in the post above me does not look half bad, more metal and better construction then the one i got at home depot. but look at the flame on that thing, its tiny, and likely doesnt burn all that hot and will take alot longer then a nitro to heat your nail or skillet. the nitro has a very large flame, at least 6 inches long from the end of the burner, and is supposed to burn at 2400 degrees when turned all the way up.

the only butane torches i found that had a big hot flame like the nitro were for making jewelry and melting precious metals, and were not any cheaper then the nitro.

7. ^ nah man flame is adjustable, even on lowest setting it's larger than that pic lol. I've been using it for almost a year I think..maybe a bit longer now idk I'm terrible with time.

8. How come the reviews for that from bb&b saying the flame is bad and the whole thing gave out in about 2months :[

9. Because thats what the majority of users experience with it. Though it appears some people have gotten lucky and found one that lasts and really works, I wouldn't risk it given their overall track record.

10. Hmm, considering this a lifetime guarentee on the vector, I'ma just get that one.

11. #11 dOpEsIcK42o, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
    Why does everyone keep saying the Nitro comes with a lifetime warranty? I'm looking at the slip that came with mine and it says 5 years(could be only discontinued models). I don't see lifetime anywhere.. Maybe that was in the past who knows. Still worth it, paid 60 bucks for it. Thats only 12 bucks a year. I also own a torch from home-depot, which works okay for my smaller ti nail and glass nails. The vector has a way bigger flame and heat my huge nail quickly.

12. It is a 5 year warranty, BUT they do not require proof of purchase when you send it in. I've sent in 2 torches already with no questions asked.

13. try the ronson tech torch...butane refillable and hits 2400 degrees
    i got it for 35 bucks and it came with 4 or 5 tips... a soldering one that c an double as a herb iron

hast failed me yet