Topsy turvy for cannabis?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mayhemmaster668, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Thinking about using a topsy turvy I have laying around to transplant into, thoughts?

Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 VTyanky, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
    Someone had a small journal last year using one. They actually did pretty good with it, even after all the negative input other users gave them on it. I actually encouraged them to keep trying. They never did post a final outcome, but the last pics they did post were pretty nice. If you've got the time and the extra plants...go for it. Of course your going to hear blah blah blah dont do it, blah blah blah waste of time, blah blah blah your going to fail. But who cares? Its your plant and your time. I say go for it if you want to.
    I found the link for you.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1233940-Lemon-skunk-Topsy-Turvy-grow

3. #3 Doc-J, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Can they work, sure. Is it the best idea, not by a long shot. Most threads you will see with "experiments" like the one VTYanky referenced seem to have something mysteriously happen and somehow leave out the end result. A very convienient way not to admit failure in my opinion.

Alot comes down to your expectations as well. While one person may be ecstatic about a plant that yields a few grams others may think it to be a waste of time. Personally I have yet to see a plant grown in a topsy turvey that I would consider impressive, but your opinion may vary.

4. The problem is this. Unlike tomatoes which will grow upside down, cannabis will not.

Ie, the plant will turn itself upright and reach for light and grow towards it. So expect your plant to still grow up. Now if you hang it say three feet high and it grows five feet up, youll need a ten foot ceiling to accomidate the growth and the very high plant. Best jus to use pots.

Its part of why the topsy turvey is 1 dollar at my local dollar store.

5. Every one has valid points to NOT doing it. I wouldnt push you to do it either. I just gave you one example for your consideration since you asked a valid question. Point blank, if YOU want to try it, go ahead. Its your grow. Hell, change it up, experiment, have fun!!! Isnt that one of this plants fringe benefits anyway??

6. what if you do it inside and put your lights under it? ;)

7. Not sure. Probably still grow against gravity.

Give it a try. :smoke:

8. I guess we will see.

9. With all the sideways and up-side-down pictures I see on this site, I thought more people used them.  :)

10. I got a great idea for a noob. Try growing in the trees using a Topsy Turvy. Those seem to both be ideas thrown out every year and they never finish their journals. Easier to forget about it than post, I failed. Or admit everyone else was right.

11. shit I would try a topsy just for fun but it would be purely shits and giggles. Haha

12. I'm not saying it won't work. I'm not wanting to waste my time lifting it off the ground only to have it grow taller than if in the ground. Maybe a few autos might work? Idk not for me.

13. i hear ya, i never tried cause felt no reason to but if someone gifted me one cant say I wouldnt try and yes autos totally would be a good bet for that setup.

14. I've had nothing but trouble growing with Topsy turveys. Outdoors using natural light, they just bake the roots. But if used in a grow tent with no hood, it seems like it would make sense to utilize the empty space above the canopy by placing them around the perimeter of the ceiling. May or may not have great yields, but it should at least raise your yield/watt ratio. After all, any bud produced is extra.

15. I watched a YouTube of a guy talking about growing in a topsy turvy. The plant grew up like poke said and was very stretchy. What he said the issue was that when you watered the plant, water comes out the bottom where the stalk is and dribbles down the base of the plant causing rot or mold issues.

16. I think I might do this in 2-3 months just for shits and giggles. At that point I will have two harvests done and will have the extra space to just screw around with a funky clone or bag seed. Why not... lol. Maybe I can improve on other peoples topsy turvy growing techniques.