Topping...?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by StaffOfPower, Nov 1, 2013.

1. I think I understand everything but I want to make sure.

1) If a plant is ~12" tall, is it too late/soon to top it?

2) Is it best to use a razor, or is it better to use shears/scissors? Does it matter?

3) What steps should be taken to make sure a plant doesn't get stressed from this? The plant is on 24/0 for veg. Very healthy.

4) Is there a MINIMAL amount of time after topping that should pass before flowering?

Sorry for all the dumb questions!

2. #2 TheAnswer121, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
  3. 1.) No. Go for it.

2.) I just pinch the little pricks, but certainly not bad practice to use a sharp sterile instrument.

3.) Generally no worries, although some strains do not respond well to being messed with. This info can sometimes be found in the breeders notes.

4.) Depends on your growth rates. A week or two is plenty with vigorous growth but its up to you. Use this as a baseline and tweak it to fit your grow.

4. Really depends on how much you want to get yield wise. I would also look into fimming the plant instead of topping it. Less stress and better quick results up to four new growths no just two. This plant in my pick was fimmed last Monday and it has good new grow already

Attached Files:

5. You can top for four if you want...hell, six, eight...

Ill top over FIMming...why? Because topping is more consistent. FIM you arent quite sure how many you'll end up with.

Want four tops...chop her above the second true node. Easy peasy.

6. I might have to try that now what's the recovery time after that though. when you fim It goes basically like it was un touched but has more branches

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Within a day or two they are directing growth to the remaining sites and growth ensues.

8. Problem please help

9. What problem?

10. We have 5 lady's and 4 are great but this one blockhead is turning brown at the tips of the leaves and shriveling up.

11. Start a thread on it. Go to the "when posting about sick plants problems" thread pinned to the front page of this subforum. Copy and paste the form into your post and answer all of the questions.

12. What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soil
    What brand and type of soil?fox farm the ocean one
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? Cinx and blockhead
    How old are the plants?3 weeks since transplant
    What type of lights and how many watts? Cfl can't remember how many watts
    How far from the lights?3 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?tap water pH 7
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? 1 5th of water to each plant every other day. Only fed once with 1/4 tsp in each 5th. And the water sits a day before using
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Room is at a constant 81
    What size pots? 3 gal
    Any bugs? Look real close. No
    Any other pertinent info? There is two strains in the tent blockhead and cinx and only the blockhead is experiencing issues with drying out and curling leaves. Also they haven't grown anything in 3 weeks but the cinx is beautiful

If any of these questions have already been answered please disregard as I cut and paste this for everyone.

13. This is what I top right I just take it off ? Looks like it's off to the side like not exactly on the middle or am I just being paranoid

Attached Files: