TOPPING - When?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LongBottomLeaf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I'm on my second plant, and she (hopefully) is about 3 weeks old, about 8 inches tall. There are 3 leaf sets, and a fourth shooting. I didn't top my first plant because I was a super noob and just got excited watching it grow and didn't research any ways to maximize my yield. Naturally, on my second plant, all I want to do is maximize my yield.

When should I top my new plant? Can I do it now, after the 3rd leaf set?

2. Perfect. Thanks! What would happen if it were topped before the fifth set/after the fifth set?

3. It would still work.
    But that shows the optimum time for topping.

4. Got it, much appreciated. I've heard from some that you should only top a plant 2 or 3 times max, and I've heard from others you can top infinitely.

What's your take?

5. #6 Chronic Habit, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  6. Topping is used to control upward growth as well as induce outward branching. Both can also be controlled with your light spacing and foliar feeding program. When used with a true topping program you will be amazed at what you can do with a single plant.

7. It's been 2 days since I topped my plant. I have seen zero new growth since. Should I be concerned or is it still just in shock?

What's a typical period of shock after topping?

8. it can take a up to a week for it to recover.... 2 days is of no concern

9. I agree just be patient, here's one of mine topped 11 days ago and super cropped started this morning

[​IMG]