Topping when is the best time ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tk86high, Jul 23, 2013.

1. So im not new to growing , but i have been the type to say leave the plant alone and let her grow on her own , which ive had great success in doing so , last harvest was an easy half a kilo dried without topping (1-400w MH/HPS).

Im hoping with topping I will get even more weight and thicker buds. but my question is , when is the best time to do topping ?

Right before u switch to 12/12 , OR? 

My little ones r at 3 weeks today im gonna switch to 12/12 after the 5th or 6th week . 

Thanks in advance . 

2. I top when the plant has 5 or 6 sets of leaves.

3. how do u do it when the plant is so small ?
    i would be the best time for topping is when the plant looks like it needs to be evened out , during the first weeks it doesnt need to be evened out cos there is no long branches just lil baby ones . 

4. I just pinch off the top. It works great.

5. hmmmmmmmm No offense , im kinda skeptical about that, i dont like hurting my babies to start with as i said in the first post . Heck i dont even cut off dying leafs :p
    anybody else can confirm this please ? :)

6. Go to the Advanced Growing Techniques Forum and look under Plant Training. Then read, read, read.

7. well do , thanks in advance !

8. I FIM/top after the 5th true set of leaves appear.    I then use LST and end up with anywhere between 6-10 tops.

9. keep us updated cause I would like to know myself. never topped but I trimmed mine last grow and this grow. last harvest was 1/2 lb 2 plants. only 1 lady this time so looking at 1/4 this grow

10. Well what I started doing a few days ago is moving my fan leafs so the new branches can get equal amount of light and it seems like the branches where the buds will form are higher or equal to the main kola area . My last grow same strain (OG kush) I did the same thing and the side buds where as high as the kola bud and almost as thick .

So I think I'm just gonna do that with this grow unless I see the kola bud is really taking over the area and its not even anymore then ill cut it .
    Wish I could upload pics on the mobile GC site and id show u want I'm talking about .

12. I use training and its great

Sent from my LG-L38C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #13 tk86high, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
    Ive heard of training or LST ? but how to go about it im clueless.

m wondering how i could make it possible in my tent as its 7 feet high,  anyhow i do training to with my fan leafs , i always tuck them under the branches so the branches get most of the light and it seems to work good .  Just felt like trying something different this time instead, and i thought topping would be a good idea,