topping. when and how much?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by self sufficient, May 27, 2010.

1. I currently have 10 plants 4 have sexed female. 6 have not yet sexed. the question is, should this be done only during the veg. state? and how many times is it safe to top? or how many crowns should i attempt to achieve before i start decreasing potency? i have always went with just one crown, never topping,but now i lack the space and need shorter bushier plants. any comment, concerns, or answers would be appreciated!!

2. Topping is something you need to experiment with to really understand. Its a very simple idea that you could understand if it was explained, but to get a feel for how much you should top in order to get the result you want you kind of have to see it happening through trying it.

Topping does not descrease potency, it takes away the main cola that the plant would have originally put most of its energy towards. Instead you get either a bushy bunch of smaller tops, or if you only topped once or twice you get 2-4 main colas instead of one.