Topping The Buds Themselves?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TimB122, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Okay so a trusted friend that used to grow told me that he used to top the buds themselveS; as in around harvest time he would cut the top cola and leave the undergrowth, he said it continues to grow and you'll get a bigger yield. This makes sense to me, I want to see if anyone else has tried this, I'm going to do this to at least one or 2 of my branches to test it. I've also heard that a little more time can increase resin pr

2. Production , so maybe it will help the quality also?

3. The higher up main colas will mature slightly faster than the lower buds, so some people do do a staggered harvest on a plant, harvesting the top half, waiting a week, then harvesting the bottom.

It's not so much the your topping it PRE harvest, your just harvesting the same plant at two seperate times instead of all at once. I personally never do it because I figure cutting half the plant apart in hopes the other half will grow more makes no sense. I feel like I'm just shocking the plant. A better option is to have supplemental lighting under the canopy like a few CFLs so as to get light to the lower mugs that normally shouldn't get any.

Hope thats the answer you were looking for! Just make sure your not harvesting the top colas early hoping the bottom will be more productive because you'll be pretty pissed at yourself if you do. Wait till week 8 at LEAST before considering
    Harvesting your hard work

4. Yeah I'm just gonna leave anything that has more potential for like an extra week after my initial harvest, and ill repost my results with pics

5. Yeah I'm just gonna leave anything that has more potential for like an extra week after my initial harvest, and ill repost my results with pics

6. I'm on week 4 flower, so just a few more weeks here

7. I harvest the top then turn the lights out for 3 days with the fans on....after you cut the head off a plant and turn off the sun the plant will try and protect it self........I think if you did it and tried to keep growing the plant....it would create seeds all over in a last ditch effort to keep the strain alive.

8. ^^^ a plant can't creat and produce seeds in a week so theres no worries about that, but it can seriously stress the plant. That's why I just harvest all at once. I mean to WAC his own but your best bet is harvesting at 10-12 weeks. Your main colas will be a little riper than you wanted and your lower buds will be a little under ripe, but that's better then having perfectly ripe main colas and immature secondary buds.

Or if your that worried about it, like I said add some supplemental light to the underside of your plant. Just hang a few cfls close to soil level that way and lower buds are going to get some direct light and help them mature more evenly