Topping soil with sand for fungus gnat control

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BoomRuckus, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Has anybody tried topping your soil with sand for fungus gnat control? If so what do you recommend for depth? Did you notice any issues with the sand leaching through the soil or any nutrient issues? And of course, did it work?

2. I tried it years ago, I think I made it like half an inch thick. Helped with the gnats, made it a royal pain in the ass to water, had to scoop away the sand to water as the water just wanted to sit on top of the sand and took forever to soak through

Sent from my LM-G710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Gnat Nix was a product I used during outbreaks with success, and over time with ROLs it becomes a perlite helper

4. Thanks, Good to know. Im switching back to organic soil from coco, so hopefully that will help too. the watering frequency for coco was making the gnats go like crazy. Ill wait to see if that helps and if not Ill try sand. Im over these gnats.

5. Ill check it out. I was using fox farms "Dont bug me." worked pretty well for a little while.

6. When I eliminated coco I eliminated my gnats. Never had therm before coco. They were bad during the coco days. I hydrated a brick for some worms and in 24 hours I had gnats in my house again. Never again. Stop by if you need some coco, I have a whole closet full that will never see water if I have anything to do with it.
    Coco was supposed to be my cure for big bales of peat and peat based mixes. I must admit, it is a very convenient way to attract gnats.
    I would have never known, but covid shook me out of my usual all perlite routine, so then finally back to peat. Before you go back to organic, consider the 50/50 peat/vermiculite mix. Mine is totally pest free. Also, if you add a little dolomite to stabalize ph, calcium issue free. So that;s two coco birds killed right there.

7. oh yeah, I forgot why I posted, try the 50/50 peat/verm mix as a mulch. It waters really well.