topping question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fresh87, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Ok I have 5 bagseed plants going and I'm planning on topping them today. From all I've read topping is an excellent choice to increase yield. My question is simple. I'm not sure which ones are male and female yet so I should just top them all right? I've read you shouldn't really top once you've started flowering yet that's when I'll find out the sexes of the plants. Is there anyway to determine sex sooner than waiting for the pistols or pollen sacks to show? Thanks a lot gc!!!

2. 1. Yes, top them all 2. There is no other way to tell make/female other than wait until the plants reach maturity (they show pistils/preflowers). This is why many growers (myself included) prefer to use feminized seeds.

3. I'm on my first grow as well, my girls showed sex/pre flowers at 3 weeks. I topped each plant after they showed. It's been a few days and I'm really glad I topped it forced tons of new lower growth! Switching to flowering in 2 weeks

4. You have a few options.

You can sex plants by putting into flower until sec is determined then revert females back to veg and toss males.

Top all the plants and wait till flower to find out sex.

Buy feminized seeds or clones.

5. top the lot and root the cuts, flower those to see which ones are male