Topping Question With pics.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by HeMadeMeDoIt, Mar 19, 2009.

1. #1 HeMadeMeDoIt, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
    Hey GC. I bought my clones and started them in 1 gallon pots a week ago. I plan on vegging for 4-5 weeks and plan to top them three times to come up with 8 main colas.

Whats everyone's feelings on how soon I should top the frist time and how much time shall i allow between toppings? I'd like to not touch the plants for the last 2 weeks of veg to allow the new stems to grow as many nodes as possible.

Attached Files:

2. god damn thats a grow!!!

3. Thats also a good question. One that Ive been thinking about myself.

I want to get several tops in too but Im growing outdoors on this one. So Im trying to figure out when to plant.

4. #4 amoril, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
    you can get 8 tops with only 2 cuts, itll save you at least a week of regrowth

when you have maybe 4 nodes, cut it back to 2. wait a week or two, and you clearly have 4 stems. now, cut each of these back to their first node after the main stem, wait another 2-2.5 weeks, and flower with 8 main stems.

for better results, on the second cut....the upper two branches should be cut to the first node past the main stem, and the lower set should be cut at the SECOND node after the main stem. This will require less regrowth on the lower stem, and allow it to be more even with the upper branches.

5. Good tip amoril. Sounds like a plan to me.

6. I hate to be a dick, but would it be possible to get some illustrations.

7. Sweet Jesus good Lord. Now there is a nice grow. I hope you get lots of females :) I will stay tuned for this one. Life's a garden, dig it ! And then smoke it!

8. Goddamn!!! I counted 120 plants in that pic! I may be wrong about the exact number but that is an ass load of pot plants. :D:D:D

9. heres some love from hamilton ontario for a grow like we do up in our city peace bro

10. Its actually 132 and they're all females, I start from clones not seeds. I'll keep everyone posted on progress.

11. Holy Bananas! That is going to be huge..

I dont want to be a pirate, but would it be worth it to top all these plants? :confused:
    I guess Im saying yes you would get say 8 main buds of a plant, but they would not be nearly as big as 1 main bud. Also when you go for harvesting your work is now 8 times what it was. I understand topping for space and for fun, but in a grow like this is it really worth it??

Also considering how close they are, unless they will be moved, they are going to be hurtin for light..

PLease correct me if I sound like a retard..:D

12. well it looks...and sounds like you know what your doing....witch is what..i diddnt see anything....see what?

13. You're not being a retard you bring some very valid points.

This is where I veg my plants, those plants get moved to 2 gallon pots on 8x4 tables and each table has 2x1000w lights. Once I kick 'em these plants will be under 5 lights at the rate ofroughly 25 plants per light.

I'm new to topping and he last crop i topped them once and left a few untopped. I can dfinitely tell you that the untopped were a little bigger but the grand total of two different colas is way bigger and well worth the time, trouble and cost in trimming.

I've also topped some of the lower branches for the first time, curious to see what will happen with that.. I'l be posting pictures later today to keep you guys posted on progress.

14. Hmm I was going to top a few and leave a few, but I think I will top them all now. With the space for light it makes sense.

15. I topped everything, even the side branches which i've never done before so its an experiment that i'm hoping will pay off!

16. Are you going to use some kind of screen?? The more I think about it it seems I will need something to help the plant hold its weight up especially if I top and have many bud sites.. My buddy runs fishing line where he needs it, but Im thinkin some type of chicken wire about 2ft above plants? let it grow a little through then flower?

17. That actually sounds like a good idea, what i've done in the past is use bamboo sticks and tied them up.