Topping or LST

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by RepTennessee, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Vote based upon your opinion and leave a comment , explaining why you chose that method. This will personally help me deciding which i should do.
    Thanks everyone!:)

2. #2 NJsteez, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011
    I think topping or any kind of HST is a thing of the past, it slows down the growth rate because plants have to recover. It may not be prolonged recovery or decrease in growth rate, but it all adds up if running a perpetual grow in a single space. Longer harvest time and less yield per year. Any type of LST would be better like ScrOG or LST if done right. A well conducted ScrOG can produce a nice even canopy of all large "big momma" colas without the delay in growth due to recovery. If you top a plant only once you may get only two big colas instead of one main cola versus the many you would get with a ScrOG. The more you top the more the plant has to recover.

3. yes but you dont always only get 2 colas. you can get more depending on the veg time and shit when you cut it.

4. #5 RO76, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011
    I topped off my two plants and started LST today. My plan is to top off every 7 days, so that way plants will have enough time to recover.Do you guys think it would be enough recovery time?

Attached Files:

5. I am debating still , have no clue !

6. #7 NJsteez, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
    Yeah of course, sometimes you can get four colas off one FIM cut. Most peoeple who top will do it twice, sometimes many more. Of course that's more vegetating time, and who likes that now that is not where the fun part in growing is. :D

But since you are growing outdoors, and setting up any LST method can be much more of a pain in the ass then when conducted indoors... I would just say fuhh it and FIM em'. With good old fashioned sunlight on your side, I don't see how slow growth or not enough growth in any short vegetative period would be an issue. Come flowering time, in the right location with the right soil and food for the plants you'll have some Green Giants.

With your setup I think that should definitely be enough time. You wanna top the new growth, when you see that and deem it as enough new growth, tops away.