Topping off the DWC?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Klaatu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. I'm starting a DWC set up soon and was reading that I should top off with water between res. changes. (But won't this just water down the nute solution?) Is this the best method, or should I just alternate topping off with both water and then nute solution as needed?

2. Do your neuts once every 5-7 days, if your water level drops which it will top up with phd water, thats how i do it anyway, close to lemon haze harvest first dwc grow

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  3. I never top up unless I go away, I then have an float set up to add water as needed. I always drain and fill the res every 5-14 days depending on growth cycle. In saying that, lots do top off with great success. Read up on hiesenburg (not sure of spelling lol) method of add back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Does it not depend on how much your plants drink? Mines drinking 3/4 gal in 3 days i do a water change every 6 so i top up with ph water until next water change, i only do normal dwc though not rdwc

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes it does, I run rather large res's at 35 gallons so there good for a bit.
    I never thought, DWC setups are fairly small, opps but like I said, seen lots that do top up successfully and hiesenburg is based on top up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I top mine off with water when low, until feeding time. I like to keep my bucket levels for each lady at 70-75% full with lots of air boiling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. I run separate 5 gallon DWC buckets. I top up everyday as well as reset PPM/EC levels daily. My plants have always drank 1+- gallon a day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I mix up 5 gallons for each plant 24 hours before a res change. 3 gallons is filled into my bucket and the other two is left for top off.

I was doing full strength top off, then I moved to 1/2 strength top off. Could see the start of over feeding with this, so I backed off. Probably a build up of nutrients the plants weren't using at PPM still was dropping.

I am going to alternate 1/2 strength top off then a full strength top off next week and see how it goes. Try and keep my PPM up. I was at 850 at res change and dropped to 550 by day 5 with 1/2 top off (@ .5 conversion).

Plants look great and PH is stable.

My nutrient solution is adjusted to 6.00, mixing it with RO water without any PH up or down and it's stayed around 6.2-6.3 with usually 1/2 gallon or more top off daily.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I've been playing the game where I'm trying to figure out the perfect nute level that my plants want. In general, if the PPM's go UP, then it's too strong - add water. If it goes down, add more nutes. A perfectly balanced system will use nutes and water at the same time and the PPM's will stay constant as the water level decreases. I'm using a large top off Rez with the next week's mix in it - slightly stronger to compensate for dilution. Over the course of the week it replaces the main Rez and slowly steers it to the next week's level.

• Like Like x 1