topping induced sexing? wtf?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by salgjkhaf, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Ok so i topped my WW plants after their thrid leaf set. then thishappened to one of them. It is on a 18/6 light schedule so i dont know why it's showing pods. Is this male (i'm pretty sure it is)? and why did this happen? is it a stress response from the plant?

Attached Files:

2. I don't know the answer but I have a question. Are these from feminised seeds or regular?

3. no they are not feminized. they are regular white widows seeds i ordered from dr chronic. and this is not the first time this has happened. When their were seedlings, one of the plants spontaneously generated seed pods too. and it was still on the 18/6 light cycle. I've read a lot of things on this forum and i have never heard of plants showing their sex before you change over to 12/12. HELP!!!:(

4. Were the plants that did this before male afterall or hermies? Is it possible this plant is also just a plain old male? I have some fem'd seeds on order from Doc Cronic and I'm not feeling too good about the chances of them producing all female for me. OTOH, It sounds like a lot of "regular" seeds act anything but. I have some regular Western Wind seeds on order and would like to think that by germinating around 5 I would after a couple months get a few definite males but a couple dependable females too. I just don't know what to expect.

There's no data showing the rate of "off-sexing" for regular seeds versus fem'd seeds. It seems like a total crap shoot and that one has to inspect the plants often, not to mention have backups growing somewhere else.

5. well thats a good one:confused:

pics are poor but it sure looks like male flower pods,

I have had clones begin flower cycle yet they were still 24/7 lite cycle, due to lower light (flouros) levels required for cloning & the stress from cutting the clones

what lites are you using

6. Extreme levels of stress sometimes cause plants to do strange things...The stress of light leaking into a room during the dark cycle often causes the plant to hermie, in your case something triggered the plant into flowering...do you have the lights on a timer...is it functioning properly...What temperature and humidity do you keep in your room...what medium are you growing in...do you adjust the ph, etc.

7. I'm really starting to think MJ is very fickle and prone to hermie. People about stress and list all the possible little things that can possibly cause the plant to decide to go hermie and it leaves me wondering what about the hearty little plant that can stand up to anything and also wondering if I'm going to be able to get females out of my plants. I'm surely doubting mine will go without any stress at all but heck, I also thought these plants were supposed to take a lot of and keep on thriving. Maybe I'm only seeing the one case out of 10 or 20 posted on here and that reality is the vast majority of plants grow to be one sex or the other without any complications... at least that's what I hope.

8. i "never" top plants. there's no need, just train them. it just slows growth. one thing is sure. if i did top, i wouldn't do it when i haven't even ferted my plants yet. i don't give them their first dose of ferts till i get three nodes. that's usually around 11 days. topping that early (imo) is a very bad idea.

9. virginarvester

the perpensity to produce hermies, is blown waaay out of proportion

its actually not an easy thing to do, I have streessed this hell out of plants over the years and never had a hermie.

in a 1 year period here we see a 1000 plants in for diagnostics, out of that 1000, we see 1 or 2 hermies, & its my contention they were genitically predisposed

no worries

10. Thanks. Do you have any opinion on feminised seeds and whether for instance if you start with three plants of a femnised strain you are likely to end up with a hermie or two or more than likely all stable females?

I understand that the board is for people with problems and that we don't hear the many success stories nearly as often as we hear the hopefully far fewer horror stories.

11. exactally...

people's plants get sick they, they get the advice they need & that it, & are off enjoying life and puffin blunts.

you have greater odds with fem seeds, yes, yet again, its blown out of proportions

12. To dig a little deeper, if a plant does hermie "a little" and develops a couple pollen sacks that burst open will it just fertilize the buds locally or does that typically fertilize every part of that plant and all females in the vicinity? Maybe I'm asking out of ignorance and there is no such thing as "hermieing a little" and that if a plant hermies it becomes covered with sacks. I can live with a few buds or a branch developing some soft seeds late in the season but if a few pollen sacks ruin an entire harvest that would really suck. And, it just seems really hard to monitor unless you can be around your plants all the time. I have a secondary site where I already know I'll be away weeks at a time. That's one reason I'm trying so hard to get a feel for what to expect from fem'd seeds re their dependability.

13. pollen moves like smoke in the air, it drifts in the air currents:(

14. 1 pollen sack can pollinate an entire crop and a neighbors crop. If you don't want all of your buds to have seeds then the best thing is to not allow any male flowers to grow in the same room.

15. sorry its taken me so long to get back on here. damn internet went down and the people took their sweet ass time fixin it. in the meantime, i took some better pics, but my digital camera still suks. anyways. i went ahead and bagged those males. now i have two females left which is perfect for my grow room as far as the lites, i just switched to 250w hps from 2 100w flouros to get ready for budding.

Attached Files:

16. so the feminized seeds being hermies is an urban myth that has been blown out of proportion?

17. the pics are still too dark and blurryto see any detail

this should help

Attached Files:

18. yeah, i definately had the scenoria on the left. seed pods all the way. damn. that means that out of all 10 seeds i ordered from dr chronic, only 3 turned out to be healthy females!!! is this a normal ratio?

19. generally more females than males, but thats just the roll of the dice

on the brite side, you have three females to clone from

20. shit bro keep a male and seed a couple branchs.you already paid for those genetics keep em!!!