Topping indica?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HerbFreedom, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Im growing 8 Northern Light strains outdoor. They are approx 3 weeks old and I am wondering if it needs to be topped or anything else? should I just leave them alone? what does topping do to the plant? and when should I start fertilizing the plants: any suggestions, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Topping takes one stem and creates 2. If you top you can really increase the amount of bud you get but all plants have a genetic limit to the amount they can produce so It may just make several smaller colas instead of one big one.

Topping can also take a tall plant and make it more bushy which can be very helpful for indoor grows.

3. so would it be wise to top these northern lights? or should I just let them grow as is.

4. Really depends on what you want. Odds are topping it once or even twice will get you more bud but like i said it isn't a guarantee. It usually doesn't hurt to top plants and it will make them more bushy which for indoors is almost always a plus.

5. You wouldnt want to Top until they are in the 1st week of the flowering.

Topping pretty much allows the lower middle branches a chance to grow up thus giving you a better yeild. Somewhat like super cropping. I think this is the same concept, however one is a bit more aggressive.

You certainly should check out some Vids on SuperCropping and Topping on YouTube.

Peace and Love:metal:

6. :confused: Why not? Surely you're just gonna stress her out and create a hermie? I would suggest (If you decide to top) doing it while still vegging, then give it a week or more to fill out and get over the stress before flowering.

FWIW, I am a fan of topping. It's worked well for me, creating beautiful bush babies and two main colas per plant. On another note, I have read that it also decreases the potency of the main colas, but I can't guarantee the accuracy of that statement.

GL, your plants look healthy and NL rocks! :smoking:

7. Do not top once flowering begins, you'll just loose your big colas at that point. Topping should occur 1-2 times early in veg 4weeks and 7 weeks maybe.

8. Why don't you top half of them and leave the other half alone? If you grow NL again you'll have an idea of what works best.

9. ya, dont top during flowering, the 2 buds you will get will be small in comparison to one big one........if you top in flowering it wont give the plant enought time to grow those two bud sites tall........happened to my diesel clones...two little popcorn nugs on top instaed of a big main cola, i was choked..... During VEG....

10. Agreed.