Topping In Early Flowering Stage?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by esseff, Jun 15, 2013.

1. #1 esseff, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
    So, the plant has been in flowering mode for 11 days, and isn't yet showing signs of flower - a bit too soon. But, during the last 11 days, she has grown from her 16"vegged  height, all the way to the top of the pulley system holding the lights.

Circumstances have been ideal for her. Around 25c, 45% humidity. On a 12/12 cycle with night time in absolute darkness dropping to high teens. Growing under 500w of 2700k light, plenty of fresh air and a fan. Understandable.

My question is, as she hasn't begun to observably flower, because I didn't think I needed to top her when she was on the window ledge, forgetting that the height of the pots would make a big difference once under the lights, if I were to top her now, what effect would it have, and is it something that can be done in the same way that topping while vegging can be? I don't want to do it as it would mean the main cola is gone, but aside from attempting stress training with what is quite a thick shaft, I'm not sure what else I can do?

2. Don't top it.....just push down on the plant a bit till it bends......3 days of that and it'll grow out.

3. Don't top it.....just push down on the plant a bit till it bends......3 days of that and it'll grow out.

4. So if you top now:
    1. Your mature branch that has a main cola will now turn into 2 small cola.

2. Plant could stress /hermie

3. Stop growth

There are no pros to topping at this point. If you want to top wait at least 2 weeks before flipping to 12/12

if your issue is that your plant is too close to light, suppercrop the branch (use search to learn technique) if u don't know how.

Good luck.

5. #5 esseff, Jun 15, 2013
    You mean just stand there pushing down a little until it starts to bend a bit and then let go? For how long?

Is it the act of putting downward force that bends the plant and stops it from growing up, or do I need to actually bend the shaft. It is quite thick and I doubt i could.

6. I put bamboo stakes in then bend them down and zip tie it so it stays down..i also super crop em first if i can

7. #7 esseff, Jun 15, 2013
    You mean while they're still vegging? Yes, that makes sense. Bit of a newbie here.

I have one on the window ledge that will be flowered later - just bent and staked that.

Bent the top of the main cola of the two in flower. Will tie them there with bamboo if they start to straighten. Does anything happen at the bend point or does this just promote other areas to grow/flower?

8. you can also put those sticky hooks on a wall upside down and tie em down with nylon string..had to come up that one last grow to pull em away from growing into the light

Ive super cropped twice at 2 week and it was fine but yea usually last weeks of veg..nothing happens at the bend except the nugs stick out since they grow toward the light..I go 4-6" down from the top then crop and tie it to a bamboo then leave it..it keeps growing up but saves you that 4-6 thats vertical

10. Ya I take a broom and smack them on the top for three days.....then they get fat n happy and stay short....don't break her.....just bend her a little.....its only the top couple of nodes your trying to bend over a little. I first heard of this from a doctor at uc Davis running a bar over the tops of the plant for the first 2 weeks a flower.

11. I like how ppl say not to top, I won't do that but here are some options. Well to be honest no u won't turn the plant hermie if you top it. I have seen first hand plants being pinched/topped till the last few weeks before harvest, do I agree or disagree? Well it comes down to ur ecosystem and if ur space allows.

If u can go about it by not cutting ur tops it say do that first. Plan B will be to top it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Just tie it over.    LST is your friend.