topping/fimming/LST vs SoG

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by afghanman, Mar 1, 2007.

1. I'm about to start my next grow using 5 gal. bubble buckets. However, I'm not sure which strain I should use. I'm trying to just top or FIM the plants once or twice, so I need a strain that will produce the most bud at either no topping, fimming, or LSTing or with minimal topping and FIMing. I'm thinking of either power plant, white widow, or blueberry, all from Dutch Passion. I just picked these because they're the really true strains I saw that I wanted. However, if someone has some better suggestions on a potent plant that gets optimal bud growth with minimal topping or FIMing, i'd love to hear it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Blueberry With SCROG :hello:

3. So that will get me more bud than just letting it grow normally? In this book I have, it stresses how certain strains don't respond well to that kind of stuff, but it doesn't say which strains those are.

4. im plannning on using the same thing youare to grow... but going to us a NL X shiva plant... and thats a big hearty girl, i believe what ill do is top her at 4.5ft ... i think a 250-300watt hps will be enough to make her live, and ill probably alternate that with a string of cfls and some high intensity leds if ive got them layin around (house is electronic jungle) as to deal with the heat, i also plan to give her extra time in the veg period after i top her, so as to provide maximal budding site, esp if i leave it on a lower wattage at certain times when im out of the home .... I was gonna use my annoying alarm to remind me to do things.. but im gonna get one of those computer alarms that plays music.. theyve turned up very handy in the past.

what im really wondering about is if I will need to cut the plant with the turning up the young leaflets ot produce two growing pathways... Im not sure what this methods called, if anyone could identify this it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

5. 1.Yes, you will get more bud.

2.Most commercially available strains (sold by seed companies) can withstand all these techniques. These strains are aimed most of the time for the indoor grower that is trying to get the biggest yield possible, so they make sure that the plant can take a beating (if it doesn't they keep crossing until they get the desired genetics).

6. Its called topping, or fimming.

7. I have not heard of any plants reacting poorly to scrog.. it is easier to do with primarily indica plants because they will not stretch for as long when you switch to flower, but you can induce flowering when the screen is less full in a sativa dominant plant.

Scrog will greatly increase yield at the price of.. well you will have to let it veg longer to fill the screen. That's all =) LST is really the same thing, but I find the screen makes it infinitely easier and keeps all the tops level.

Hope this helped, happy growing!

Cheers! I'm growing blueberry in a scrog and it is delishamazing. check out my thread in indoor growing if you like.