Topping and pruning tech.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mwil333, May 2, 2013.

1. Hello everyone I want to try a way to prune you girls to produce a higher yield . I will be growing in a dirt perlite mixture , Gh nutes , 1k light with 2 500 watt led full spectutm about 15 plants under all of this . I have been playing with different ways to maximize yield while keeping plants low stressed . So here is what I have done . I have started from seeds all fem . Various strands after seeding rooted pretty good I transplanted to 3 gallon pots under 1 k light for veg for two weeks . On the stem got nice and strong and plant has at least 5 nodes . I stripped of all the big fan leaves and top leaving only a stick with little nodes . I veg them another two weeks then flower .here is the first pic of what they look like after hard prune .

Attached Files:

2. Well, there are next to no leaves left on those sticks so im not sure what you are expecting the plant to use to collect light and photosynthesize? Defoliation is sometimes used in flower to remove SOME leaves that are blocking buds from getting lights, but im not sure what stripping plants of their leaves when in veg is going to do other than stress and stunt the hell out of them.

3. This is a pic a week after topping and pruning

Attached Files:

4. instead of topping/trimming, consider tying down. i do some pretty radical trimming, through early flower, but don't top at all, just tie. once i'm done trimming, i begin tying down. if you're careful, you'll get little to no slow-down in growth. although your plants look good, shiva is right. you have to be careful when trimming your big fan leaves. later on in veg, the plants won't be able to replace those big leaves, and they are the generators for growth. 15 three gallon containers under a single 1000 watter, is cutting it close. after the stretch in flower, things could get tight. i have seen some vertizontals that throw off a pretty big foot-print though.

5. When do u trim doing flower and how much?

6. i usually end up trimming through the first couple weeks of flower. the lower 7-9" of my stalks are naked, and i trim leaves that get in the way of buds. but i also believe in, "if you can't tuck it, pluck it."

7. #7 Mwil333, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
    Thanks for reply , I rotate them between two 500 full spectrum LEDs . I know everyone days don't chop those big fan leaves I have experimented with both ways and have seen no difference . If fact once I remove all the fan leaves ( after at lest two weeks veg for good root take .) until its just a stick and is at least 4 or 5 nodes high , the plant bounces back fast and much more semetric . Ill keep you posted on these grows . I have some ladies I been tying down using shish ka bob sticks and bread ties . I have several in flower now that have 20 plus flower sites but is less than 18 inch tall now 2 weeks into flower . They are sleep now . But thanks and stayed tuned!!

8. ^^^cool^^^

9. Never trim during flower , as you can see the bud site are all growing in dominant . Put the light on let grow for flower duration .

Attached Files: