Toping soil with bat/bird guano

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Boggieman, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I have always used earth juice in my outdoor grows, but I have decided this year for my outdoor grow in going to try an use guano as a top dressing to limit the number of times I have to feed. The problem is I dont know how much or how often to feed bat guano.

Sunleaves says top the soil with 2-4 tablespoons of guano per foot of plant every 3-4 weeks, has anyone used that with success, if not do you have any recomendation on how much to use compared to size of plant? I think feeding a 7ft plant 28 tablespoons of bat guano would burn it.

I still plan on feeding with maxicrop soluable seaweed for potash, and Ej catalyst late in flower, but for the most part I would like to use guanos this year.

2. Ive used sunleaves guanos...but indoors, in pots. I used roughly(less) what they reccomended with good success. Outdoors I would think you could go with what they say, and as often......read your plants though.

One thing tho, I have used guanos outdoors and had animals come and root around where I had put it. I really don't think it was chance either. The fert. combo had some chicken by-products in it.....which could have been the prob. either way.

good luck

3. Try a third, then a half etc of a dose and see how your plants react.

You could try a third on one plant, half on another 3/4...then recommended dosage on another...

If they start to show nute burn just flush the heck out of them

4. #4 TexRx, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
    I would go with this........

Start with high nitrogen bat guano during vegging - you could apply 2 tablespoons at week 5 or 6 and you could re-apply 1-2 more times before flowering (max=6 tablespoons)

After flowering starts, apply 2-3 tablespoons high phosphorous bat guano and re-apply every 3 weeks or so with a maximum of 4 applications (max=12 tablespoons)

Always water plant after you apply guano

Keep using your other organic plant supplements like: Liquified seaweed, Blackstrap molasses, Humic acids, apple cider vinegar......

:)

5. Whats the apple cider for? It says vinegar and not hard.. So I don't think its for sipping when watering :)

6. #6 TexRx, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
    ^^^ Apple cider vinegar has a some good uses in the garden

1 tablespoon of 5% apple cider vinegar per of gallon when watering will: slightly raise the ph, add some minerals and other micronutrients and it will improve the water quality of tap water

You can also use 1 gal 20% vinegar with 1 oz orange oil and 1 teaspoon natural dish soap as an organic weed kiiler - but be careful, it will sting if you get a lot on your hands!

:)

This guy has a good 3 min vid on using vinegar in the garden....
    The second vid uses the apple cider vinegar in an organic foliar spray (you can also water/lightly feed your plants with it)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQXea4nx6mA"]YouTube - Vinegar 101 - Howard Garrett[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlCNYz6oTA[/ame]

7. Thanks, however are you sure 6 tablespoons is enough for the whole veg cycle? I start them the beginning of april under floros, then put them outside in may, so they veg 4 months? Im thinking maby you ment 6 tablespoons max every feed. What about how often does once a month sound right?

I have soluable seaweed powder, and alaskan fish emulsion to occasionally feed if needed. I should say I grow fairly large plants usually between 12-16 ounces a plant, and I read it takes bat guano about 2 weeks before it slowly breaks down, im thinking top feed every 2 weeks depending on size of plant. I also plan to mix it up, some mexican bat guano with some seabird guano, ect.

8. ^^^^ I was thinking small...

If you're growing good sized plants that will veg for several months outdoors, you can increase to the amounts that you state in the post above

9. Thanks Texrx, I have been doing nothing but googling the use of bat guano all day, but no 2 people say the same. it seems you and some other folks like cleancutgurilla know what your talking about. From what I read its smart to top the soil every 2 weeks, because it takes it 2 weeks before it starts releasing nutrients. Im going to try the low side of sunleaves feed chart, 2 tablespoons per foot of plant every 2 weeks, if someone suggests otherwise im all ears. Thanks for the tips guys.

10. I think im going to use the low side of sunleaves feed chart, 2 tablespoons of bat guano to every foot of plant, and top feed every 2 weeks for a slow consistant sorce of nitrogen. Im also going to feed with maxicrop soluable seaweed and a little fish emulsion once a week.