Top leaves yellowing during flowering

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Deleted member 826314, Jan 22, 2015.

1. #1 Deleted member 826314, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    What type of medium; soil or hydro? Hydro
    What brand and type of soil? DWC, (no water pump, the plants are just in a reservoir of 45l with an air pump)
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? Shining Silver Haze (Royal Queen Seeds)
    How old are the plants?  13 weeks old
    What type of lights and how many watts? HPS, 400W
    How far from the lights? 20 cm
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? Tap water, add tap water to the reservoir once every 2 or 3 days)
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? I use the general hydroponics try pack (flora, micro, bloom)
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? pH is around 5.5 and 6
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? RH = 40%, temp = 28
    What size pots? 3.5"
    Any bugs? Look real close. No
    Any other pertinent info? 

Hello everyone, this is my first grow.
    I have a 80X80cm grow tent and I am using as a growing technique hydroponics, specifically Deep Water Culture. However, I do not use any water pump, but the plants' roots just sit in a reservoir, with an air pump to provide the oxygen they need. I am growing three Shining Silver Haze plants and although I experienced a few small problems during the growth which I managed to fix, now that I am approaching harvest time I started to have problems which I am not sure how to identify and how to fix.

Just for you to know, about a month ago, for a few weeks, the plants were drinking quite a lot of water and the pH was always going down, and I used to refill the reservoir with sum unpHed tap water in order to restore 'balance'.

After a couple of weeks of flowering, one of my plants, the one who seemed to be the healthiest and the biggest, started to show signs of yellowing on the top leaves. Initially I thought that it was the normal yellowing that occurs during the late stages of flowering. But it was too soon to be that, and while I noticed that the other plants were fine, their buds were fattening and getting bigger, this other plant seemed to be stuck at the same point it was 3 weeks ago. I tried flushing the system a couple of times during this past two weeks, I tried giving more nutrients to the plants (I don't have a PPM meter, I know it's important and I'll get for my next grow), I tried refilling the reservoir with hot tap water (it wasn't hot when I put in the reservoir!) since I suspected an iron deficiency and I read somewhere that hot water would have made the water richer in heavy metals. Nothing seemed to work, I still am not sure on what is exactly happening to my plant and I am afraid that my harvest won't be as big as I hoped.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, although I feel like it's too late to fix anything. 

​On the picture you can see the plant that I am talking about, you can see that a few leaves on the left started turning purple. Since I had success with my other plants I tried to supercrop this one as well, however when it started to have this problems it stopped recovering from the supercropping, so I used some white tape to help recovery.

P.S. I have done several research through forums and websites about growing before posting here, I couldn't find anything that was specifically similar to my problem and I did not want to try and fix the wrong problem, but rather be sure about what it is before doing anything else.

Attached Files:

2. Lack of N, friend, a ppm meter will indeed help next grow but you can still give her more now, she might improve a bit.

3. leaves are supposed to get yellow and die during flowering..

looks good to me..

4. #4 Deleted member 826314, Jan 22, 2015
    I would have thought the same if the two other plants right next to it weren't looking way healthier and greener. The buds of the one in the picture haven't fattened much and harvest is approaching.

Do you reckon that adding a bit more GHE flora micro (5-0-1) would help me with that? Because I heard that plants in late flowering shouldn't be getting to much Nitrogen. Also , I would have thought it might have been an N deficiency if the yellowing started from the bottom leaves and progressively moved to the top.

You right, yellowing usually isn't N deficient from the top. From the one pic I had to look sideways and it was difficult to see. But you can also tell that the yellowing is from the tip toward the heal of the leaf, so apparently the plant seems to be pulling energy from it's leaves. How much longer till harvest?

6. #6 Deleted member 826314, Jan 22, 2015

The seeds package suggested 9 weeks of flowering, so that would mean that I have 2 weeks left before my sticky buds are ripe. However, I feel like I should probably get a magnifying glass to get a look at the trichomes. Since only one plant has been affected by this do you think I can harvest just the other 2 plants and try to see if this one recovers and blooms a bit more?

I noticed that now a few leaves are turning purple and some tips are curling upwards, could it be zinc deficiency? Also is there anything that might have been caused by having the pH going down continuously for a certain period? (what caused that anyway? too much nutes?)

7. In your posts I had thought maybe you had another month and if no yellowing from the bottom you have nothing to worry about, but your girls are maturing naturally, the yellowing is normal as August West suggested ... all is up to snuff my friend.

they are all clones from the same mother?

9. No but the plants all sit in the same water container.

I know that yellowing should be normal, what worries me the most is that the plant looks unhealthier than the others and the buds are way smaller

seeds all differ..

you could have an earlier finishing phenotype in there that's just yellowing before the others.
    happens all the time..

11. Never, ever, follow the flowering times on the seed package. As stated in a post above me, get a jewelers loupe or magnifying to find the true flowering time.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. Lots of good info here. Yellow from the top is usally a zinc issue.

However, these plants dont appear to be yellowing from the top. It looks as if the most mature buds have surrounding leaves finishing first while the immature buds are slower. This is pretty typical in my experience as plants closer to lights often do better and finish faster.
    Fwiw.

I agree with the consensus, they look fine :)
    ~ poke

13. Well, thank you all guys! I really appreciated receiving your opinions and advices. As a newbie I got several times over concerned about my plants and now I was really worried to ruin my first crop. I noticed how with experience and little by little things seemed to get clearer and easier to deal with. I'll inform you all about how my buds will be in the end!

Just a last little question. As you guys probably know, it is hard to find general consensus on how to do things when it comes to growing pot, everyone has its own ways and you can see how polarised opinions on specific growing techniques can be. So I wanted to ask you guys if there is a really good way/guide to harvest and cure buds

Thank you all again!

14. I personally chop the stem and hang the whole plant upside down. I leave humidity between 45-55%

After 2-3 weeks I trim and jar. This ensures each time that no "hay smell" happens. Also, its better to let a plant over mature than under. The hay smell can ruin a crop and usually happens when buds are harvested too early. I dont burp the jars. after 3 weeks i dont need to. If the plants are too wet to jar after 3 weeks, I chop them up and put them in paper bags for a night or two then jar.

Ive tried every other way, every method and this works for me. But your mileage may vary.
    ~ poke