Top heavy seedlings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by titanguy81, Mar 11, 2013.

1. So my first Sour Turbo Diesel sprouted, grew fast, and started toppling over (seemed really tall, but my first grow so I dunno)... so I re-buried her deeper in the soil so only about 1" was sticking out... she's been doing well since.

I just sprouted my second one, was looking good last night... but this morning found she had grown probably 2x the height since last night and was totally toppled over with her cotyledons and two tiny fans laying in the dirt... looked a little too dark green/purpleish even..

Any reason why my plants are doing this? Lights too far away? Not enough light?

Very first grow... thanks for any input! :smoking:

2. Probably lights 2 far away

3. What does your light setup look like, what type of lights, how far away, etc. Are the seedlings in humidity domes or open air?

Some more info on the grow or some pics would help answer the question.

Until then, common causes of this are either your light is too weak or too far away from the sprout. Or, if the humidity is too high especially right around the base of the stem the plant falls and starts to die. I believe this is called dampening off? If your first is still doing well then it is probably the first answer.

ColoradoLegaliz:smoking:

4. Makes sense... I think it's definitely the lights then... CFL, one 5000k one 6500. my older plant has the 32w 6500k on it, the newer one had the 5000k 26w on it. There's also a 26w 5000k that is on in the closet above everything. I have about a 18"x18" box surrounding the plants with mylar to reflect.

Humidity I control with a humidifier, and it's staying right abound 40%, at around 75-80 degrees... I have a gauge right next to the plant.

Gonna try to find those light socket splitters and some more 6500k CFL's today and try to get closer to 100w min per plant.

5. A fan is you're friend, get some air on them will strengthen the stems up in no time

6. After you get the stretching figured out prop her up with toothpicks and feed her some dynagro protekt. I had to lay off the silica because my seedling stems were getting damn hard and I want to be able to top later. Silica will harden it up even better than a fan.

7. Get a fan so those stems will turn woody with a good fan you'll have branches you can stake Dracula with
    Also make sure the light source is not too far from the seedlings or they'll stretch for the light.

8. Fan brotha that's all you need plus a steak or something to hold it up I had the same issue bro and was pissed my seedling was tipping I put the fan on for 20 hours a day there thick as fuck now
    And keep light at the proper height from the plants

9. put a fan on them, added more light (first one has 32w x3 6500k CFL's)... little one thats struggling has 26w x4, two 6500, two 5000k. The struggling one is still in the humidity tent though... propped her up with a zip tie..

both are still pretty small... first is only about a week out of the soil, the other is only a day and a half outta the soil..

i have the lights about 6" away... had them closer but temps were too high (90 degrees)..

should i take the humidity tent off the struggling one? wont matter for fan cuz she's propped up... just wondering if it might be too hot in the tent now with that much light..

first one is doing much better after i buried her 1" from her cotyledons, btw...but she's been slower growth than i think is possible..hopefully the more light will help that..

thanks everyone!