Top drip questions ... Popping my hydro cherry

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by realdealz28, Feb 22, 2017.

1. So I've been avid soil grower for 15+years...I know how to grow... Soil at least.... So I'm trying couple top drip 5 gallon buckets, I've read and heard great things... I've got couple questions fur those who absolutely know....

First what schedule should I set on the timer... I'm starting one from seed once it roots the riot plug... Then the other I have clone ready in a plug... I've heard 15 min an hour but all time first week or two...

Next...I was told from a lot different sources since the netting lids fur the bucket are large enough for roots to pass through.... That you should stick air stone in bottom, it makes water more oxygenated and will let roots get into resovoir making it a top drip DWC morph.... I've never did hydro at all...

I've rinsed my hydroton throughouly so water clear... Then soaked it in pH 4.5 dechlorinated water fur 48 hrs so far changing the water every day.... This is supposed to help with pH flux.

I think that's pretty much it although I'm open to any advice as long as it doesn't include me trashing this system and going with another lol...

Thanks BUDdies

2. #2 WhobeBoo, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    HI...

I use GH Waterfarms with air stones so it is also a drip/DWC hybrid. Been using them for the past 8 years.

Schedule: I usually start t with clones and I run the drip rings 24/7. Sometimes you can get a green mold on the hydroton (water + light= mold) so I have gotten in the habit of covering the top of the bucket with aluminum foil... put a slit in it for the plant. I usually end of changing it once or twice till the plant gets bushy enough that it blocks the light from the hydroton.

Absolutely put in an air stone.... I also drill t the top bucket with additional holes for more roots to get into the bottom bucket. The best of both worlds.

Sounds like you've got the hydroton ready to go. I also do all of those steps and still will get a slight pH drift upwards for the first couple of weeks.

This setup is very successful for me. Check out some of the plants I've grown in my signature line.

Good luck!

3. OK sweet... Yeah my top lid has 8 in net pot with pretty big slots so I know tons roots per slot can pass through...

.I have air stone in bottom on 24/7...... Then the top feed is every 30 min now... Dark only couple times to keep moist,..

Also I covered that dreaded Black 5 gallon bucket with white/black thick panda film, white side out.....

I also made skirt to cover the hydroton that way light isn't beating on it... Hoping with everyone help I'll have success first time....

4. Here my girl.... Her top got limp during cloning so I cut it this was left....It was only one I had left rooted and I'm not worried about being small as that should change fast being clone....

Keeping fingers crossed.... Thanks BUDdies....Btw covering that top for reflection and shading hydroton was great idea

Attached Files:

5. The more i think about this the more questions I have....

First, if I keep soil too wet the plant shows extreme signs of over watering.... Then hydro stays wet the whole time....
    Is the only reason hydro doesn't is BC the hydroton doesn't soak up water?...

And if I add nutrients to solution every week when you change fluid,
    Then ain't I feeding all the time.... In soil that's bad.... Anyways I just wanna make sure I'm not completely misunderstand this and doing it all wrong....

If I am please help.... Thanks BUDdies

6. Hi..

Yes, you are feeding/watering all of the time, but the roots are not sitting in saturated soil. The nutrient solution (depending of the hydro method) drops through the hydroton (or whatever medium). The hydroton does not soak up the nutrient, but rather drains through. Enough nutes stay in the hydroton to feed the plant. The nute solution also increases its dissolved oxygen (DO) by passing through the Hydroton. As the roots develope, they will drop into the lower bucket (with the air stone) and feed/grow even faster. It is important that you keep the nutrient solution at the proper temp. Too high and you can get root rot. Too low and the plant will not uptake the solution as fast as it needs.

Soil has its own nutrients in them. That is why you don't feed soil grows on a regualar basis...just water.

Hydroponics is nothing like soil...so all of the soil issues are not a problem in hydro.

Hope is helps...

7. Thanks yeah I believe I got it.... Still the worries though....

I keep my room about 75-83max and 65 low 4 dark....

I have a fan blowing directly on the bucket on low to keep it cooler and I wrapped that black bucket in thick white/black panda film with white side out to reflect the light not absorb.... And even made skirt with plant poking through to cover hydroton so light doesn't dry it and heat it any....

...I hope this goes good but if not I haven't put all my marbles in one basket... This just some side experiments...

Thanks BUDdy