Top drip deep water culture ?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Taz87, May 14, 2017.

1. I have a 18 gallon tub with 2 net pots, a air pump and stone a water pump which pumps water into the net pots. Do i need to fill the water up to the bottom of the net pot so the rock woll stays in water. Or is the water pump and a few gallons of water ok, do i run th water pump 24/7.l._.

2. I would leave a 6 inch or so air cushion in between the water and the net pots. Maybe even more with a top drip.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Yep. If that rock wool stays too went it'll cause a damping off at the base of the stem and eventually kill the plant

4. With the top drip system the rock wool is always gonna be wet or do i not run pump 24/7 ?

5. 1 more thing with the water pump do istill need air pump and stone, i have a 300 gallon hr air pump on the way from Amazon i know there is no such thing as to much air, will my seedlings be ok for a few days with just the water pump. I have a small small air pump for my little3 gallon fish tank i can borrow for 2daya till my pump comes in the mail will that be enugh for 2 plants in my 18 gallon top drip dwc bin

6. I would set the rock wool right on top of the stones once the roots are grown out of the bottom of the cube. As long as the cube can drain, and the top of it isn't soaked, you should be good.

Once the roots grow down into the stones they should have enough O2 just from the air spaces between the stones. But, it's still a good idea to keep O2 running in your Rez to keep it from becoming anaerobic. You're going to want to make sure your drip is reaching the roots while they are starting to grow into the stones, but not the top of the cube.

7. So ishouldnt even put the rockwool in the net pot

8. So i shouldnt put the rock wool into the net pot untill its starting to sprount and roots are showing a little, i guess i should put seed it wet rockwool once its germinated and hummidty dome i was just gonna use a foil pan with plastic lid and put on top my water heater it get hot like a heat pad, do ineed light tho to get it to sprout, i have a 1000watt hps but will 2 or 3cfls be enough just to sprout my 3 seeds or do i need light at all. And i guess my water pump should be turned way down i dont need a heavy flow of water i just want to keep bottom of rockwool wet right