Top Anti-Drug Researcher Changes His Mind, Says Legalize Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by SpongePaul, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Top Anti-Drug Researcher Changes His Mind, Says Legalize Marijuana

Thu, Jun 04, 2009 1:59 pm
    more: headline news, drug policy news, activism news

Source: stopthedrugwar.org

Posted in Chronicle Blog by Scott Morgan on Wed, 06/03/2009 - 9:52pm

For 30 years, Donald Tashkin has studied the effects of marijuana on lung function. His work has been funded by the vehemently anti-marijuana National Institute on Drug Abuse, which has long sought to demonstrate that marijuana causes lung cancer. After 3 decades of anti-drug research, here's what Tashkin has to say about marijuana laws:
    "Early on, when our research appeared as if there would be a negative impact on lung health, I was opposed to legalization because I thought it would lead to increased use and that would lead to increased health effects," Tashkin says. "But at this point, I'd be in favor of legalization. I wouldn't encourage anybody to smoke any substances. But I don't think it should be stigmatized as an illegal substance. Tobacco smoking causes far more harm. And in terms of an intoxicant, alcohol causes far more harm." [McClatchy]
    We've been told a thousand times that marijuana destroys your lungs, that it's 5 times worse than cigarettes, and on and on. Yet here is Donald Tashkin, literally the top expert in the world when it comes to marijuana and lung health, telling us it's time to legalize marijuana. His views are shaped not by ideology, but rather by the 30 years he spent studying the issue. He didn't expect the science to come out in favor of marijuana, but that's what happened and he's willing to admit it.

Here's the study that really turned things around:
    UCLA's Tashkin studied heavy marijuana smokers to determine whether the use led to increased risk of lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD. He hypothesized that there would be a definitive link between cancer and marijuana smoking, but the results proved otherwise.
    "What we found instead was no association and even a suggestion of some protective effect," says Tashkin, whose research was the largest case-control study ever conducted.
    Prejudice against marijuana and smoking in general runs so deep for many people that it just seems inconceivable that marijuana could actually reduce the risk of lung cancer. But that's what the data shows and it not only demolishes a major tenet of popular anti-pot propaganda, but also points towards a potentially groundbreaking opportunity to develop cancer cures through marijuana research.

Over and over again, all the bad things we've been told about marijuana are revealed to be not only false, but often the precise opposite of the truth. So the next time someone tells you that marijuana is worse for your lungs than cigarettes, you might want to mention that the world's leading expert on that subject happens to be a supporter of legalization.

2. wow... how many people need to say that everything we have been told is bullshit and that weed is pretty much harmless until someone in power listens?

3. I bet this guy lost all his funding from the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Something along the lines of "we don't like the results you are reporting so we'll find a new puppet to spew out lies for us."

4. this is another terrific turn of events, if the top anti drug researcher says to legalize it, its only a matter of time until obama is FORCED to listen. cancer and lung damage was a huge weapon in the antidrug argument and has now just been completely destroyed.

5. Finally, we have government researched information released that there is no link between cancer and cannabis. After 30 years of hopefully extensive research we have concrete evidence it is not cancerous, but was that the reason they wanted it illegal? Obviously not, so I'm sure they can make up something like, "It'll give you the swine flu (Because we used the spray everywhere and we genetically changed it so it only attaches to pot plants and illegal aliens.)"

Although, maybe something good will come of it. Parease.

6. like it even matters anymore. There literally couldn't be anything more positive about marijuana.

7. the only link to lung cancer and weed is the tobacco blunt wrap we use. and that is a very small percent to cause of lung cancer. and the way to fix it is to use glass smoke devices.

8. More and more people are changing their views on cannabis. Hopefully this will get some coverage by the MSM. We all need to keep pressing this issue! Write your Senators and Congressmen, both Fed and local. Write whitehouse.gov. Write EVERYBODY. NOW is the time to press the issue.

Additionally, YOUNG PEOPLE - REGISTER to VOTE and VOTE! Vote the old establishment from office and let's get some new, young, fresh and free thinkers in there!

Our civil liberties are being violated by our governments more and more everyday. It is HIGH TIME (pun intended) to STOP IT in it's tracks!

Hopefully, this study will get the airplay it needs to reach millions.

Stop the "Reefer Madness" lies!

9. well at some point the truth will have to prevail:smoke:

10. id that coolios dl on ur aviator

11. After 30 years of paid working doing bullshit he finally decided to quit the lies. Now that he doesn't need to be paid anymore his mind 'suddenly changes' :D

12. Great piece of info for our argument there. I just emailed this to my state rep along with the link about the dutch prisons closing. Keep bugging your state reps, eventually they will have no choice but to listen to the 99% of their constituents that have enjoyed this for thousands of years with 0 problems cause by the plant itself.

13. That's kind of fucked up .

14. I know... how could he do that! ;)

15. cause money talks

16. So does my dog when I'm high on marijuana? :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  17. lol smart ass lol

18. I read this article a few months ago but I could never find it again.

This is definitely a huge step in the right direction =]

19. Yep, hopefully it will light a fire under some people's tails, i.e. our wonderful guv-ment.

Oh, and my dog can talk even when I am straight - oops, sorry, like a friend used to say - Forward, NEVER straight! :)

Seriously, it's time we recieve the same rights as alcohol drinkers enjoy!

20. thats what i dont understand. how can the gov make something that kills ppl legal and make weed seem like its the worst thing in the world. i mean how many ppl die from alco poision and drunk driving vers ppl dieing from weed. i understand that some ppl are alergic but that dont mean they are forced to smoke it. just like cigs. and cigs kill more ppl then guns. at lest with gungs only stupid ppl with them is when they kill. im sure this has been said more then 100 times but still my only question is why