Top 10 ways to stay safe (indoors)

Discussion in 'Security' started by Freedom, Jun 17, 2010.

1. #1 Freedom, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011

no prob free:d

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2

2. I'm more of an outdoor kinda guy (my very good fortune), but thanks for the handy tips. I think this quoted bit is my favorite aspect, because I love growing and talking about growing too! :smoke:

I think safety in any grow op boils down to being discrete in word and deed. Protect your self from things and people that can hurt you. :cool:
    Be as prepared, paranoid and threat aware as possible, because getting caught is a real threat (and a real hassle), and mostly one that can be avoided with a lot of care and a little luck. (adjusts tinfoil hat ever so slightly)
    Do you have any ideas about the use of infra red scanning by the cops? Is it a real threat? :confused:

Hope you can get outdoors one day soon, and +Rep to you :wave::hello:

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've only ever heard of large gorilla style grows being busted by helicopter. FLIR in a city environment has a lot of solar heating to contend with during the day and most indoor growers I've come across paths with tell me that they leave the lights on during the day.

(If it's all being billed the same what difference does it make if you leave them on all day and cut them off at night? simple: It looks normal)

I've been told that the best thing you can do is be polite to your neighbors, Go to work / class like normal, and generally speaking act as if nothing is happening that is exciting at all...

I have been able to get into more places I shouldn't have been able to get into by just acting like I knew what the hell was going on and I belonged there.

So if you do your research and plan it out and don't skimp where it counts even if it means delaying the start for a few weeks / months while you save up to get everything together. It has taken me weeks of research independantly and cross-checking / fact checking advice from other posters on GC before I bought my 1st item towards my grow...

( all of us 1st time growers like to get ahead of ourselves and then we wind up in the sick plants forum or the real stories forum in a panic because they forgot the maintainence people were coming )

So exercise some common sense and use your head for something more than an imput for intoxicating substances and you might get out of this more than you expect...

:wave:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yeah, I have asked for the title to include the fact that it's 'indoor', it should happen soon. :) I hope someone will do an outdoor version, but I don't consider myself to be qualified. :)

If your tin foil hat is secure, you will be safe from the copters. :p

No, I don't worry about them. I have about 5 or 6 copters go directly over my house every day, I won't say why or it gives too much away about my location, but if anyone has to worry about them it would be me.
    I used to worry about it, but don't now. Those fuckers don't know what I have in my house, I could have sunbeds or huge TV's or I could grow exotic orchids. On it's own it's not enough for them to raid you imo, they can only speculate. I run a total of 1300w just in my lights, even that won't make my house stand out that much from others.
    I have seen images of houses that were busted partly due to the infra red evidence and the whole house was glowing.

If the donut munchers wanna spend the necessary man hours and cash on watching my four plant op by helicopter, then someone needs to explain to me why my taxes aren't being better spent. :p

I have grown outside before, but I live in the UK and it didn't go great, I ended up bringing her indoors again. :p
    Thanks for looking. :)

My Leccy is cheaper at night. :confused: I run my lights at night cos it's cooler. ;) :)

PrecisAMUNDO! Don't act susppicious or you're asking for it.

Hell to the yeah. :wave:

5. Freedom i wouldn't be 1000 miles away from you, at the minute we are having great weather. I also have lights on during the night. I have woodland all around my grow op, my intake air is from the outdoor air (obviously), when you think that plants and trees exhale carbon dioxide at night, i can't help to think that my plants will be making use of it during lights on, i could be wrong.

Anyway, another security point, would be using your computer for uploading photos and research information. We all do it, and want to do it. My grow op isn't 'at or near' my home. If by any chance i was caught anywhere near my grow op, i could have a good defence saying that the grow-op has nothing to do with me. If my home was raided (which will happen) and my computer was seized, i'd be screwed. Yes, i know people would say don't use your own computer, but it's here in front of me and you know yourself 'our lives revolve around our computer and our grow op', well, mine does anyway.
    By the way, i've been growing for years and know alot about security, especially with not allowing myself to chat to anyone about growing, which (as you all know) is very hard. The net is the only place i can express myself and help new growers, when i can.
    Is anyone else in my situation?

• Like Like x 3
  6. I think most people are in that situation. Not many personal growers know many other growers IRL, which would be about the only folks you could trust. Ah, the joys of criminality...
    Regarding that computer, I will not store pics on the HDs when it's so simple to stick them on an easily hidden USB drive. What bothers me in my routine, and it's something I'll have to address, is my habit of having FF remember my last closed pages and automatically opening them when I open FF. That, and I should remember to flush cookies and passwords and turn off the puter every time I do anything slightly risky.

An outdoor version would be good for the specifics, but a fair bit of the same advice applies.
    My tin foil hat is fairly secure, but I might need some camo tin foil :D
    I guess as far as the popo's are concerned, they get the kudos for big busts, so that's where they focus. Having said that, the place I live is well known for growing, and I'd really like tips on how to blend in outside. Part of that being safe through being cautious.

Yep, normalcy, planning and cautious forethought are the names of the game.
    Thankfully growing outdoors is easier (but riskier) than growing indoors.
    Be nice to do both, one day, with mothers and clones inside.

7. #7 Kinetic420, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
    Here's some crazy awesome info for you since you use USB "Flash Drives" goto C:\Windows\setupapi.log and delete it,
    Then goto start - run - type in regedit and when the registry editor opens go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR and delete that key
    While still in the registry editor delete the MountedDevices key and
    Go to the event viewer in control panel delete every event
    Then search for a file called dllcache and delete it too
    Then search for a file called prefetch and delete it as well..

Then re-boot and it will look like no USB devices have ever been plugged into your computer other than the devices that are connected to it upon re-booting...

Run a virus scan 1st thing after you re-boot and "bada-bing!" the last accessed date and time changes on every file and you're completely untraceable to the flash drive on that system...

And if you're really really freakin paranoid!!

goto CMRR - Secure Erase

Use the HDDErase.exe tool to activate the hard drive manufacturer's SECURITY ERASE UNIT mode which resets the platters of the disk to the manufacturer's standard codeset making it appear even to an FBI scanning electron microscope like the drive is brand new out of the box...

Hope that gives ya something to chew on!
    :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wow, thanks. Now I just have to find a way to remember this without writing it down... :)
    I may never use it, but thanks for the advice.

9. Good shit right there. You know your shit, +rep.:bongin:

I have never grown before, but LEO's and federal agents DO waste taxpayer money to see if your growing. The FLIR system is really good at determining that and by looking at your electricity bill. i believe that would be enough for a warrant, but if its not, all they got to do is send in a undercover acting as a UPS or FedEx guy and they would smell that shit. Another thing, don't toy with the electricity meters. Thats how a lot of people get caught.

10. I respectfully disagree. :)

I do agree that tampering with the leccy meter is probably a very bad idea. :p

Regarding info on the computer, of course be careful not to leave stuff on there unnecessarily but I still don't think it's a risk in the first instance, if they have enough on you to be seizing your computer, then you're pretty much already fucked imo ;) Them finding pictures of what they've just found in your grow space is not gonna make things that much worse. Best bet, don't give them a reason to investigate you. :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  11. but your doing so well with stickies now , why do you need more journals to attack ?

hey good post BTW Freedom, thanks

Wharf

12. The life of a journal fucker upper is a busy one man. ;)

And thanks! :D

13. About the computers. I think your best bet would be to use Google Chrome's incognito feature. There is no memory for anything, even though at times that browser memory comes in handy. This is what I do. A small thing, but I thought I would add.

14. This is all good advice, buuut I have a question. I'm really concerned about the smell of my grow. I live in the same house with my mother and I'm trying to hide it from her. She's kind of a drunk but if she walked in and saw the lights through my closet doors and smellled the shit in my room, I think I'd be fucked. I'm pretty sure she'd kick me out soo help me out here :)

15. What kind of budget you workin with? you could go for a high-end carbon filter and vortex fan to pull the smell and heat thru the carbon and vent up into the already hot attic or you could get some ONA GEL and put it in the closet or you could just buy a lot of inscence and keep 'em burnin... it really depends on if you want to hide the smell, mask the smell, or scrub the smell completely...

16. Your risking getting kicked out of your home and getting your mother put in jail for some bud?

Son/Daughter of the year right here...:hello:

• Like Like x 1
  17. yeah, get your own place 1st... Don't grow where everyone in the house dosen't agree with it...

It's not worth losing your living situation over...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks Freedom 4 Eva,

This is a great thread. I am only 2 weeks in to my first grow, but your "10 things" help to reassure me that I am doing okay. I live in a very dense urban area, so Infared choppers do scare me a bit, but all my lighting (700 W T5/CFL) and (200W LED) are remarkably less hot than the big HID lamps that I think those choppers are looking for in commercial grows.

What is your experience with can fans? I have a Can-33 w/6" fan that has an expected value of 156 CFM circulation and my room is 450 cubic feet.... This should recirculate the air in my room in 3-4 minutes, but my plants are superskunk (feminized) so if all are indeed girls, then that is a lot of skunky odor:eek:

Should I be concerned about odor at all? This is really my biggest fear, way above anything else:eek::eek:

Peace

19. Sounds like you've got a great fan and filter set.. I'd just get a bucket of ONA Gel if you are really worried about it and just keep it on hand for when things get good and stinky...

20. When I was in high school I germinated a couple bag-seeds in my closet, but I quickly decided it was a dumb idea and killed my plants....... Now I am in an apartment so it isn't entirely my estate, but I feel much better than hiding it from someone who eats at the same dinner table as you.