Too tall / heavy to jog?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Parallelism, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Hello GC.

I'm 6-5' and 300 pounds and I was wondering; I want to have cartilage / meniscus in my knee's when I'm 50 years old+.

I was thinking about running 3 ~ 5 times a week in the morning before college and work for about 1 ~ 5 miles. My question is, 'am I too heavy to jog or will I be doing more harm then good? Should I drop 50 pounds before jogging?

I've lost 80 pounds when I was younger and I plan to do the same thing here. About to start my diet in a week or two.

Picture was me about 3 months ago when I weighed 280

[​IMG]

2. It's generally a good idea to hide your face on this site. It's your choice, but it just seems like a wise policy.

Try walking first. Walking is much more low impact than running. Swimming is even better if you have access to a pool. You can also run in the pool. It's very slow and difficult, but is also quite low impact. Biking and elliptical machines or stairmasters are other options as well. Biking is better in my opinion since you can at least be outside.

Once you get more comfortable and lose some more weight, start alternating between walking and running i.e walk five minutes, run one minute, repeat. Increase the ratio of running to walking with time, and before you know it, you'll be a sexy beast and running the whole time!

Do some strength training so that once you lose the fat, it'll uncover a bunch of muscle. It will also make running safer and easier.

3. Russia got it spot on. Start out walking, then build up to running. Stretch a lot and if you want, run barefooted (google that shit). For low impact go with swimming and biking.

4. Tablespoon of L-Glutamine with fruit juice in the morning and again late afternoon/night will help with your joints and recovery as well. The fruit juice aids with absorbtion.

5. Any fruit juice? Like, 100% apple juice and call it good?

6. I got myself a recumbent exercise bike and it's my BEST fitness investment ever. I bought a cheap Wal-Mart one a few years ago, and was able to upgrade this year. These things are SOOOOO easy to do for long periods, and you drop weight like crazy. I set mine up in front of the TV, turn on football, golf, baseball, or a movie, and go at it for up to 3 hours. This is easily one of the best purchases of my life and will always have a place in my workouts.

[​IMG]

7. First off, thanks for the information. I'll look into buying one of these or at least trying one out in the gym first.

Secondly, how the FUDGE do you have 2 bars of negative rep? LOL

8. Trying one at the gym is a great idea. In the past my dad who has knee problem's, was all about the Elliptical machines. He's been exercising for 40+ years, and is usually very knowledgeable when it comes to fitness. I tried an elliptical in the gym and OMG it hurts my knees! I've given a couple different ones a shot and every one gives me pain in my knees. It must be the way my body is built, and the way the elliptical machines work.

I'm working on my rep. There was a small mix-up a few months ago that I'm taking care of now.