Too soon to top/fim?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GroFoMoFo, Oct 13, 2018.

?

Is this too young to be topped

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. Is Shareon too young to be topped? I believe she broke soil 10/2 1539457731728-248584422.jpg

Attached Files:

2. You're good to top. Looks like it's on its 4th-5th node? I'll top below the 4th node once I see the side shoots starting to come out. Leave at least 1/8 of an inch of stem above the 3rd node when you cut (or whatever node you decide to cut at...) , dont cut it all the way down. Any time you prune it's good to leave a little stem in case of infection and it helps stabilize when it gets bigger

3. Looking good for only 11 days old! Growing fast..

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. can you post any non-purple pics.?

'grow lights' are for photosynthesis, 'white light' is what we see and use.

5. Thanks, I had it in a solo cup at first but then it started to look it wasn't going to grow because the paddle looking leaves we're burnt and yellow. It started in Promix because I was worried the FFoF would be to "hot", but it already looked burnt so I decided to go ahead and put it in the FF. When I took it out of the solo it looked root bound but no upper growth. It was weird looking, but a couple of days in the FF and it took off. I'm excited to see how it progresses.

6. Shure, let me charge up

7. 15394716339072026288468.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Sorry but the flash is the best lighting I can do, really not in a position to take it into a brighter room

9. perfect.!!
    I would not top it, needs another day or 3, maybe a FiM topping now.....????
    FiM topping now would bring all 4 branches up to the top, but i'd still wait 1-7 more days for more roots.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Looks like you have some nice inner growth starting there. And from a side pic it does look like you're on the 5th node.. it's up to you where you top it but if you're scrogging you'll want to top below the 4th-6th node depending on how the inner growth is on the first couple nodes, ideally you want 6-8 main inner branches that includes the 2 new top branches below where you top and keep topping those 6-8 as you please as they grow. 2nd top 12-16 tops.. 3rd top 24-32 tops.. I'll stop at the 3rd top and do 4 plants in a 4x4 tent scrog and easily get 20 oz

If you just want a multi cola plant then go with 8-16 colas and let then stretch into spears but make sure the plant is mature and the nodes stagger nicely so you get huge branch long buds

• Like Like x 2
  11. Right on, the goal is to be able to scrog it out as much as I can within a 2x4 area shared with 2 other plants. I'm kinda worried about space so it might be best to just do 2 and keep cuttings going from them. The last time I tried the fim method I ended up with a very bushy plant, and the time before that, a very scraggly plant. I was certain it had to do with the timing of the cut.

12. right on.!!
    picture what you want to finish with, then flip to 12/12 when it is 1/2 as full as you picture.!

• Like Like x 1

13. I am a beginner. Just curious if all topping needs to be finished before flipping to flower.

14. I would say definitely, but I've seen some crazy things about people pinching the first budletts. I don't have the balls to try it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. So I decided to go ahead and top today. After re-reading what A.Friend.Indeed said (sober) it made a lot of sense. Cutting any living plant is scary terry for me so I'm pretty aprehensive when it comes to topping. I think what was messing me up before, was topping the two newer shoots before the (if at all) inner growth. Well here is a pic, hopefully I left enough stem and did it in the right spot. I just pinched it, I don't have surgeon hands so I left the scissors alone.

*Sorry for the Blurp* 15395753206591371332442.jpg

16. So much has grown in the past 9 days.. how's it looking to you guys? I gave it it's first feed yesterday. Hopefully that's not too soon. Should I keep topping or just start the net and grow out side branches? The third thumbnail is a picture of a damaged fan that looks like a worm may have chomped on (haven't seen it yet) or could be poor development from under watering?? Opinions please.

Attached Files:

17. Should I flip now or wait until the smaller one fills it's side more? I would think the stretch would fill up the rest right?

Attached Files:

18. most ScroG growers almost fill the net (80% full) then flip spending the 1st 1-2 weeks filling the net,
    with one plant struggling and the other taking over the space, this is going to be difficult to do,
    if u can manage the different watering schedules move the big one over to have more of the net, 70/30 split,
    then do as ScroG guys do.!! lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. Right on, I used pipe cleaners to bend the bigger one level with the smaller one.. going to give it a week or so to see if it catches up if not I'll just move it to a separate veg area and add it in later.