Too much water? Opinion please

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by woodsy1, Dec 3, 2011.

1. So i switched to 12/12 bout a week ago. I feed each plant 2 liter's when the lights come on and 2 liter's bout an hour before the lights go out but when i water when the lights come on the coco is still moist. So should i feed only once or mabey just a litre before the lights go out. They are awesome so far and just dont want fuck them with a novice mistake

Attached Files:

2. as long as your getting good drainage ur gonna be fine. start liftin your plants up after you water and get a feel for its weight, when they start gettin dry they will be much lighter.

and get rid of the weak splidly shit down low, its suckin up growth energy and aint gonna produce shit

peace

3. oh, forgot to mention they look very nice, your doin great

4. Thanks for the advice . I just didn't wanna fuck them with 2 much or not enough water. I have never tried trimming the bottom's, do you think it makes a big difference? I use 2 1100 watt lights so i get plenty of penetration

5. Trimming does make a big difference I use to get a lot of fluffy useless buds but now I trim once in veg before I flip the lights to flower and 1 more time around 2-3 weeks into flower makes harvest time a lot easier also and the top buds look a lot bigger

6. What about stressing the plant to hermi three weeks in..no problems ever removing during flower?

7. Awsome job by the way bro heres some rep for ya.

8. You're looking good. I would suggest not crowding them so much and to be careful watering at night because this has a tendency to increase mold production when the lights are out.

9. you cant over water coco...... take a look at this. it came from another site from a member who is very very reliable and knows his shit......

CoCo Notes
     CoCo
     pH
    • 5.6 – 5.8
    • I never let my pH go over 6, I shoot for 5.6-5.8.
    • Moving one's pH from 5.8 to 6.2 may slightly increase Mg availability, but it decreases availability of P, Ca, Fe, and Cu.
    • The best way to manage cal / mag in coco is by adjusting pH...
    o ph below 5.8 achieves higher Ca uptake and lower Mg uptake, thus you reduce the Ca stored in the coco and increases Mg. By using ph over 5.8, you achieve the inverse. Keeping the amounts of Ca and Mg balanced in the coco is the key to having the best yields and avoiding problems.
    • phosphorous becomes more available with lower pH.
     Watering
    • hardly any runoff...
    o Always have runoff, that necessitates holes in the cups and pots. You are not so much "adding" water as you are "exchanging" water.
    • Feed every watering
    • Increasing watering will increase the rate at which new air is pulled into the medium. Overwatering is really a misnomer. It should be called under oxygenation. If overwatering were really possible then deep water culture wouldn't work.
    • Water your coco daily or more often even. Coco does not need to dry out.
    Watering daily prevents under oxygenation. You'll under oxygenate if you skip days watering. Watering often pulls new air into the medium as water drains thru.
    • The additional waterings are the air supply. As the new water drains through, it forces existing air out of the root zone and pulls new air into the root zone. It is this exchange of air which allows for enough oxygenation, in addition to the fact that the new nutrient that you water with should have a higher dissolved oxygen content than the stagnant solution suspended in the coco.
    • Another important consideration in keeping coco wet, is the fact that both concentration and pH fluctuate more as the medium cycles thru wet/dry. If 30% of the water in your coco evaporates then the concentration increases by 30%, and the pH drops a few tenths of a point. Keeping a constant moisture level keeps nutrient availability steadier.
    • More watering = faster growth, follow this method... You watch it in action... controlling watering frequency is how you can time my rotation properly... If you need them to slow down, you treat the coco like pro-mix... If you need them to speed up, you treat it like coco and water several times daily...
    • If you are watering every other day and your coco is not drying out in between then you have found the O2 problem. Water more often or allow your medium to dry out more.

The only way to really overwater coco is to hit the "just wrong" zone between the "water often to keep fresh O2" school of thought and the "let it dry up" school of thought, where the water sits long enough to stagnate but not long enough to evaporate.
     How plants feed and Cation ability of CoCo
    • Plant nutrition is way more about availability than concentration...
    Less is indeed more...

10. tell me dude doesnt know his shit..........

Attached Files:

11. ah, dude dont know his shit? :D hows it goin to? :wave:

12. its goin good. where you been hidin at?

13. hey sorry for the slow reply and thanks for the tips, much apreciated.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woodsy1
    Thanks for the advice . I just didn't wanna fuck them with 2 much or not enough water. I have never tried trimming the bottom's, do you think it makes a big difference? I use 2 1100 watt lights so i get plenty of penetration

Trimming does make a big difference I use to get a lot of fluffy useless buds but now I trim once in veg before I flip the lights to flower and 1 more time around 2-3 weeks into flower makes harvest time a lot easier also and the top buds look a lot bigger.

thanks for the tip i trimmed up the bottom foot of them and most of the little shit off the bottom and in the week since the tops have really started to take off and fatten up a bit i am curious to see how they go they are only nearly 3 weeks into flower and looking really nice, i will put more pics up tonight.

Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Numbnutts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    quote:
    Awsome job by the way bro heres some rep for ya.

thanks mate they are looking awesome, i am stoked since this is my fisrt coco grow. i only ever done recirculating water systems. i am going to try the big bang from ghs i have grown it in hydo before and was stoked it is still some of the best weed i ever smoked and am keen to see what its like in coco.

tothehead
    Gramma take me home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you cant over water coco...... take a look at this. it came from another site from a member who is very very reliable and knows his shit......

CoCo Notes
     CoCo
     pH
    • 5.6 – 5.8
    • I never let my pH go over 6, I shoot for 5.6-5.8.
    • Moving one's pH from 5.8 to 6.2 may slightly increase Mg availability, but it decreases availability of P, Ca, Fe, and Cu.
    • The best way to manage cal / mag in coco is by adjusting pH...
    o ph below 5.8 achieves higher Ca uptake and lower Mg uptake, thus you reduce the Ca stored in the coco and increases Mg. By using ph over 5.8, you achieve the inverse. Keeping the amounts of Ca and Mg balanced in the coco is the key to having the best yields and avoiding problems.
    • phosphorous becomes more available with lower pH.
     Watering
    • hardly any runoff...
    o Always have runoff, that necessitates holes in the cups and pots. You are not so much "adding" water as you are "exchanging" water.
    • Feed every watering
    • Increasing watering will increase the rate at which new air is pulled into the medium. Overwatering is really a misnomer. It should be called under oxygenation. If overwatering were really possible then deep water culture wouldn't work.
    • Water your coco daily or more often even. Coco does not need to dry out.
    Watering daily prevents under oxygenation. You'll under oxygenate if you skip days watering. Watering often pulls new air into the medium as water drains thru.
    • The additional waterings are the air supply. As the new water drains through, it forces existing air out of the root zone and pulls new air into the root zone. It is this exchange of air which allows for enough oxygenation, in addition to the fact that the new nutrient that you water with should have a higher dissolved oxygen content than the stagnant solution suspended in the coco.
    • Another important consideration in keeping coco wet, is the fact that both concentration and pH fluctuate more as the medium cycles thru wet/dry. If 30% of the water in your coco evaporates then the concentration increases by 30%, and the pH drops a few tenths of a point. Keeping a constant moisture level keeps nutrient availability steadier.
    • More watering = faster growth, follow this method... You watch it in action... controlling watering frequency is how you can time my rotation properly... If you need them to slow down, you treat the coco like pro-mix... If you need them to speed up, you treat it like coco and water several times daily...
    • If you are watering every other day and your coco is not drying out in between then you have found the O2 problem. Water more often or allow your medium to dry out more.

The only way to really overwater coco is to hit the "just wrong" zone between the "water often to keep fresh O2" school of thought and the "let it dry up" school of thought, where the water sits long enough to stagnate but not long enough to evaporate.
     How plants feed and Cation ability of CoCo
    • Plant nutrition is way more about availability than concentration...
    Less is indeed more...

thanks for that it is very informative, i actually came to the same conclusion about ph quickly. imo a mag def is easier to keep under control then a cal def. i also think that it is pointless using calmag every feed because if u eventually get nute lockout or problems how are u suppost to fix it? add more nutes lol i know u can flush but i just keep it simple with an A and B, cyco uptake, and alternate silica and risotonic everyday but thats just my train of thought lol. well im rambling cause im baked as fuck so ill leave it there cya.

14. Coco sounds fun..i think im gonna try one plany in coco..
    I use promix , is the coco anywhere near the promix? Or are they worlds apart?

15. Im not sure mate i have never used promix lol. I just use canna coco with a few handfulls of clay balls thrown in and mixed up a bit. You will not be sorry, i think once you get everything going right they grow quicker and bushier than hydro. I use canna coco nute for veg and gt coco bloom for flower.