Too much protein -- bad?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by DutchX8, Jun 12, 2009.

1. I've been working out like crazy recently, and eating a lot too. I had a steak last night for dinner, and today I had a steak for breakfast AND dinner (steak and eggs for breakfast). Now it's about 10 pm and i'm about to go grill a chicken breast and have a protein shake with it. I'm not doing this just for the protein intake, i'm just a very hungry person (i'm pretty skinny and my metabolism is wicked fast, so after eating all this i'll probably wake up tomorrow 2 lbs lighter).

Anyway... i've heard that too much protein is bad for you, which I can understand if you're not using it up, but would my incessant working out make it ok? Will I benefit from it?

2. Youll be fine. the general rule of thumb is one gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you start having diarehha (sp) then tone down the intake.

3. Just make sure you drink enough because protein needs a lot of water. And too much of ANYTHING is bad for you but you wont die for having a couple steaks and chicken breasts a day.

4. Are you eating any carbs at all?

If you are working out a lot, and eating that much protein, you need to make sure you are also getting a lot of carbohydrates or your body will go into ketosis, where you are just burning fat instead of carbohydrates for energy (basically your body is in starvation mode).

Unless you have a LOT of weight to lose (like 50+ excess pounds) this is generally not a good thing.

This is the basis of a lot of low-carbohydrate diets.

5. Drink lots of water, eat plenty of carbs. How crazy is your workout if you don't mind me asking?

Ketosis is a not always necesarally a bad thing though. Even if your aren't 50+ pounds overweight it is still nice to loose some bf%.

6. It's debatable, but I agree it's probably not harmful for someone who needs to lose even a small amount of weight or body fat. But he said that he was really skinny and has a fast metabolism to begin with, so it doesn't sound like ketosis would be a very healthy state for him to be in.

7. you will be fine just lift your fucking ass off and keep up the cardio so you stay in shape

8. make sure to work out alot..if your protein intake is really high your gonna start getting really tired so you wanna eat lots of carbohydrates to keep up the energy levels

9. I would personally lay off all the steak and try to limit red meat consumption to about once or twice a week as it can cause your colon problems further down the road.

Nothing wrong with lots of protein but just don't neglect the other food groups.