too much light for seedlings??

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by wkg002, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Hi all, i have a question about my seedlings. Is it possible 6 26w CFLs is too much for a few seedlings? I've been having trouble with them dying and i cant really figure out what is going on. The seeds germinate without any problems, but after they sprout and i put them under the lights they die.

Just a little background info... My grow is indoors. I live in a dry desert climate(think texas or arizona). I'm using FFOF for soil. I use RO water for watering. My average temp is mid to high 70's and humidity is mid to low 50's. Also, i'm using some old bag seed, nothing special. I initially thought the seeds could be the problem, but i would think they wouldnt germinate if that were the case.

Let me know if you have any ideas, or need more info. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. It is possible that the CFL's are too hot. with 6 26 watts bulbs u can cover a 6 square foot area. 3 x 3. how big is your grow area and how many plants? pH? Nutes?

3. My room is about 3' x 5'. The plants are on one side of the room so not all 5 feet are being utilized. I had 4 plants but i'm currently down to 2. I have a few other seeds germinating. The plants are about 2" under the the CFLs. For nutes I have FF big bloom, grow big, and tiger bloom but i'm not using any yet since the plants are still too young. Ph runoff is 7.

4. you need to lower your pH. you want your runoff for soil to be around 6.3-6.8

5. Yea, i guess my ph is a little high. Do you think this is enough to kill the seedlings? I've read you can use vinegar as a ph down. Any ideas what a good mixture would be to start with? Thanks for the help!

6. It shouldn't but if it does just start over again. They are only seedlings. Theres controversy over using vinegar. Id go to the hydro store and by a set of ph up or down, but if there isn't one around go to a pool store and buy a gallon of sulfuric acid (for pH down). It will last a few years for 2 or 3$

7. yea, unfortunately there isn't a hydro store near me, but there are plenty of pool supply stores. I'll check that out. Thanks for the help.