Too much light? But I need heat

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NorthEastStoner, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Hey new grower here. My plant just emerged from the soil with the seed still on. I'm growing in a not so hot room so I've been using a 24 watt full spectrum fluorescent light along with an incandescent lamp to keep the plant hot. Now that the seedling has emerged will this double light over saturate it? Is that even possible?sorry I don't know much about indoor lighting. I think I need the lamp to keep everything warm. Let me know if I'm going to damage my baby plant. Thanks!!! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412392916.682940.jpg

2. Your seedling needs high humidity mate, so something like a humidity dome would be great....that would also help keep the temps up too.

I doubt the light from the incandescent is even noticed by the plant really, so I doubt over saturation will be a problem.

3. Thanks mate. I decided I'm moving the plant to my closet where it should be a little warmer. Instead of a humidity dome I'm just going to buy a thermometer with humidity and hot water vaporizer so I can control the environment better. The room I'm using now is terrible for plants. I didn't realize how hard it would be to control conditions in a sunroom in new england during October. Excited to make the move to the closet. Hopefully my seedling doesn't get harmed from being in 73F with improper humidity for another night.

4. 73F is fine, start worrying if it gets down to around 63f. You could add several more bulbs before you are going to hurt the plant, cfls just dont put out that much light and incandescents are even worse.

5. Yeah like Doc said mate, 73 won't hurt them at all, mine drop to below 70 at lights off constantly, and I'm yet to see any harm done. :)

For the seedlings I think keeping the humidity higher is more important than the couple degrees in temps.....just my opinion of course, so yeah, moving them to an area with greater humidity as well as a bit warmer can never be a bad thing! 

All the best bro

6. I grow with two 400W HPS in flowering with 8 hours of light and the rest of the day off in the middle of the winter in the states..... Gotta time it right to keep the ladies warm!!

7. Lol, I live in the UK mate, and my girl is American....she didn't believe me when I told her how cold it is here!.....2 years on, she is only just getting it! haha. 

8. You are going to need to look into getting a lot more light for your little girl. Research how much light marijuana really wants, how large these plants get. I am guessing you haven't seen a full grown mj plant in person, one cfl won't be enough. Humidity dome sounds good but it cuts the amount of light the plant gets. You can simply put an open container of water in the grow room with plant with incandescent light bulb over the water safely placed of course to raise humidity. More light more light more light.5500-6500k. Happy growing

9. fuck the humidity dome, you dont have much of a plant yet.

Do not use a dome, plants need air. You cant have too much light short of cooking the plant.

10. Haha that's great I was trying to say the same thing only nicer. Fuck your humidity dome in my head it was with a Dave Chappell Rick James skit tone.