Too much LED light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cannabisaurus Rex, Jul 31, 2013.

1. I've been looking into some LED lights because I have a feeling my hps is going to be way too hot for my cabinet. If it is I'm planning on getting two of these.
    http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=390635763716
    From what I've read, one of these are good for around a 2x2-3x3 area. Would there be a negative effect from putting two of these in my 2x2x4 cabinet? Also anyone have any past history with that type of LED? What did you think?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. ohhhhh another led light set with no lumen rating

Yes, the negative effect will be less finances to buy a quality grow light.

4. Those are not so good as Grow LEDs. Gotta go big or go home on the LED side. If not then get yourself a T5 set up or small HID set up. Its easy to vent heat. 

5. LOL!!!  good one, and true...

6. Here's a good option... A curved light. I've heard of this new light called the Arc Series. http://kck.st/1d5wim9

Attached Files:

7. I just did a ton of research on LED lights, and rhapsodyrcks is right...quality is not what you are going to get out of that eBay light. You get what you pay for when it comes to LED lights. It is best to buy from a reputable company that offer reasonably priced LED grow lights with good heat dissipation. I would provide some examples of these companies, but I'm new to the forum, and I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that. I guess you can MSG me if you want my research. 

My cabinet is similar to yours in size...24" X 20" X 84". I was using 6 x 45 watt CFL 6500k (45 actual watts, not incandescent equivalent. I shoot a lot of video, so I just took the CFL's out of my photography soft-light boxes lol) and temperatures were approaching 86-88 degrees. So, I decided to try out an LED light in hopes that I could decrease daytime temperatures in my grow cab. After much research, and a budget of about $400, I decided on the Advanced LED Diamond Series DS100 for $300. They rate it at 150 watts, so I don't know why they call it the DS100. Anyway, I LOVE this light. It runs super cool, and has switches to run full spectrum, veg only, or bloom only. It is designed for a space your size (2.5' x 3'). 

Surprisingly, the air coming off the sides through the vents is cool air. I took my 3 ladies off the 6 x 45 watt CFL's at the end of week 2, and put them under the LED light on veg only at the beginning of the 3rd week. The plants responded well. At the end of week 3, I put them under full spectrum, and they blew up in just a few days. The growth is really incredible. I just changed light cycle to 12/12 with a 24-hour dark period just before the light cycle change. 

That was a really long way of saying do not buy a cheap LED light. You will be disappointed. If you can't spring $300-$500 on a good LED light (which is actually on the really low end of what you should spend for a quality LED light), then stick with CFL's or a T5 fixture that allows you to change out different spectrum bulbs. Temperature control is incredibly important for a good grow, and so far the only way I've been able to bring temps down is to use the LED light. 

Hope that helps. Don't waste your money on junk.

8. Thank you very much. I already have a 150 watt hps with the ballast built right in (sun system) and my main concern was that it was going to be way too hot... I was right. I ran it for about ten minutes with the fan going and it got to about 110 degrees. I think I'm just going to trade it out for a light with a separate ballast. After a harvest or two I'll look into one of those LED lights. With winter being around the bend I think if I can remove the ballast from inside the cab I'll be good for about two harvests then I'll look into one of those for when next summer rolls around. Again, I really appreciate your time and post man.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

No sweat. Hope it helps you make the best decision for your grow.

10. Xen-lux, hmmmmm. Right when you think you've seen all the different L.E.D. options, another one pops up. I could'nt find the price for those. How much are they each? I'm PRO L.E.D. by the way.

11. Thanks for that hands on heads up. Was curious about the Diamond Series. I spent endless hrs researching LED lighting options always feeling a bit leary. Until one day I came across a dream come true, granted it was an intimidating value/investment vs the normal $300.00-$500.00 H.P.S./M.H. set-ups and took some time to save up for. I'm now on my second grow with my unbelievable LED in the mix. Summary; I'm in it to win it now & all in with LUMIGROW!! My Pro650 p.a.r. ratings are equal to or better than 2 1,000Watt systems that would pull 18+amps and need significant cooling, and yet I'm only drawing 8.5amps for 2,000WATTS!! Their site will sell itself, and a proper heads up, wear some depends, your gonna need em' cuz this site will make you s*!t yourself. Growers UNITE :)

12. Mari-j, you sound like someone who'd possibly find interest in this light for an upcoming investment opportunity. I and my mother have both bought one a piece and niether of us have seen growth like this EVER. Granted you may already have that growth occurring since you are already running an LED. But in case your looking for what I was, Lumigrow, puts out two lights on complete other wavelegths. I'd suggest their top-of-the-line/latest&greatest Pro650, draws 8.5amps, but puts out the equivalent of 2,000Watts. I'm in love with mine, no doubt about it. Greener growing mj...

What do you mean by this? A watt is a watt.

Always steer clear of any light that makes claims that it will equal a more powerful HID lamp. This is a "tell" that you are about to buy a hunk of junk.