Too long in Veg, no more room-- Super crop or remove?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by bombtombadill, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Hi all,

I'm stuck growing in a small cabinet and let my current grow veg a little too long for my small space. Should I remove the main tops that are beyond my trellis net or train them back to the center? I could super crop pinching the stems and bend them back in a U shape. I hate removing them due to the fact that these are main colas, but the middle flowers are working well and are at equal height (my goal with this grow, equal height all flower tops)

Anyway, any tips greatly appreciated. I'm at the end of week 3 of flower now, I'm hoping the stretch will slow soon....

Quick info-
    Durban Poison Fem Photoperiod
    Grow Cabinet 1.5x.1.5x 3
    Spider Farmer Sf1000
    Fox Farm Happy Frog, Dyna Grow nutes. (5 gallon cloth pot)
    RH 50 temp around 72

6_11.JPG

2. U could just bend em over

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hi there! I'm new here so totally keep that in mind with my advice. But from what I understand in books I read that it's not a good idea to mess with the plant too much once you put it into flowering. You're already 3 weeks into it. The issue you have is a "good issue" though... if it were me, I'd put the plant in a bigger cabinet or no cabinet. Your plant is growing so nicely, if it were my plant, I'd make accommodations for the plant rather than let the plant make accommodations for the cabinet. You're going to get a lot of pot from that plant if you let it be. Looks very healthy!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I would leave them. Stretch is about done, so any high stress activities are not really advisable. Closest buds to the light mature first......so you could think of them as sample colas ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Imma clear my post up......by bending im not talking snapping knecks just a simple bend and tuck

• Like Like x 2
  6. I learned during my first grow that anything higher and closer to the lights, becomes the plants primary focus. Its kinda like "king of the mountain"... You have to keep lowering the highest top to spread the plants wealth if that makes any sense. So, leaving these tops higher than the rest of my flowers isn't an option. Its either removal or bending them in. I also dont like the tops touching the side of my walls, this cant be good for the prevention of mold and for air circulation.

Yep, I hear you, I hate stressing the plant in flower, but its early and I have at least 6 weeks left. I'm thinking that keeping all of the flower tops 8-10 inches under my Spiderfarmer will pay off with a huge yield. At least, that was my plan with this grow. I want all of my flowers to be "king of the mountain"...

7. I'm actually snapping them and lying them flat on the trellis net, that should keep them very low and in time they should catch back up to the middle flowers.

I just broke two stems and layed them on the trellis net. (In a big U shape). I may tie them down as well as this plant is very perky and hours after breaking the strem, she is reaching back up !

I still have two left to break, I figure I'll spread them out so the plant isnt shocked too much,.

8. You're going to have light stress at 8in with that light.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm worried about the colas up on the wall getting mold without good airflow, especially as they bulk up with leaves/flowers.

I've decided to pinch and bend and learn a little about supercropping.. Apparently, super cropping strengthens the stem after healing and bud growth is improved?

10. Yes it does greatly improve the strength of stem at the bend once healed, however the plant must use energy to do that..so take it easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. still not too late to take clones it does a good job reducing height

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  12. I did a lot of reading and a very experienced grower advised that the SF-1000 be kept 8-10 inches from flower tops. Apparently, the SF-1000 is a little underpowered for full flower. I had really great results last grow (Northern Lights) with the light 10-12 inches away-- No light burn. So, as an experiment, I am pushing the lights down a few more inches.

Here is a picture of my second grow. (Nirvana Northern Lights) SF-1000 10-12 inches off the tops. You can also see what I'm trying to do with my current grow, keep all the flowers equal height. I had two colas that weighed in over 1.5 ounces wet last grow.

Nirvana Northern Lights Fem-- My second grow as a newbie.

3_19side.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nice, thanks I didn't think of this. Maybe I can cut two off and put them in gallon cloth pots, it might be a bit tight though. I also have not tried cloning yet, but I'm game. I love learning new tricks.

14. Hey do whatever, it's how you learn.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OK, thanks much. It sounds like you know your stuff. I have noticed that my plant has slowed down a bit when I stress her out. I've defoliated tons of leaves this grow. It's getting time to leave her alone.....(I think my plant is afraid of me always coming in to snip or bend branches !) I'll take it easy.

All in all, is this looking like a pretty good grow from one plant under less than 100 watts of light?

16. what was the dry weight?

17. Get out your pliers and crush a 3 inch or longer zone to bend the tops. This is what I've used for years to control big Sativa plants outdoors that I don't want showing above the tops of the 6 foot wall. Doesn't slow them a bit.

Soft branches your thumb may be enough to indent and bend over.

BNW

18. Don't know the dry weight of my Durban Poison grow (work in progress--hoping for 3 zips), But I got 2.5 ounces of pure bud last grow dry, all stems/sugar leaves removed. And well over an ounce of trimmings. ( I over trimmed, no idea what I'm doing when it comes to trimming--I'm a newbie)

1.7 ounces wet--about average for my NL grow.

Attached Files:

19. Thanks ! I'll take the pliers out later tonight. Yes, I knew a Sativa was risky in my small space but I had to try.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #20 bombtombadill, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    I really appreciate your advice and am listening. I'll keep the lights low but will be cautious--any sign of burn and I'll raise the light.

I struggled a bit getting amber trics in my last two grows and wound up harvesting cloudy. It could be the strain, it could also be the lights. This is another reason I'm testing lowering the lights this grow.