Too Little -- Too Much

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DWChydro, Apr 12, 2008.

1. First I created a post because my plants were turning purple.
    I was told they had too little nutes.

Now I added nutes, but I am afraid they are showing early signs of nute burn.
    And my nute solution is really foggy.

Is this early sign of nute burn? You can see almost yellowish tint in the leaves. They are on Day 7 by the way.

Attached Files:

2. stop giving them NUTES!@!@#@!@#$#@!#$ they will die off quick. plants that young need nothing but light and water....do some searching on this forum and read the grow journals of people with many many posts. you will learn my young Padawan learner

3. So what should I do when I get home?

Empty the reseervoir, fill it up with JUST WATER?

I've read that you should begin using nutes when roots submerge into water.

4. i would empty the res. replace with pH corrected water. for you (hydro) 5.5-5.9, and let that run for about 2-5 days, depending on what the new growth looks like, and then, when you do add nutes, USE THEM AT 1/4 THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE. also, what kind of nute's are you using?

5. The one's StealthHydro supplied for me.

I am scared of doing this though, when I added the nutes, the purple undertone went away almost completely, and when I came home the plants probably almost doubled in size. Are you sure to just put water? And the pH of 5.9 sounds too low.

Also the roots of the plants, like the longest root on each one, branched straight, maybe 3mm tentacle looking things...is this abnormal as well?

6. Whoever told you purple stem is the sign of an under-fert obviously has no idea what hes talking about. The purplish red stem is normal for some strains. If this is your first grow, check out my seed/germination/seedling guide.

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/222855-gigz-16-s-seed-germination-seedling-guide.html

Good luck dude!

(Oh, and the root is normal, it gets pretty creepy looking)
    :):):)

7. WOW.

This site really offers some sketch advice...

That's a baby White Widow by the way.

8. OK...just double checking.

When I go home, I am emptying my reservoir; filling it up with JUST WATER; and then adjusting the pH to 5.9.

Can someone confirm this for me.

9. Sounds good. Hydro can go from 5.5 to 6.8, with 5.8 to 6.3 being the optimal pH. Keep in mind I am not a hydro grower though. I just happen the know the pH used in a hydro grow.

Good luck:)

10. two people can.
    google search PH levels for what you are growing. you'll see 5.6-5.9 is standand.
    don't give nutes till at least 4 leaves next time. and you shouldn't start unless you have studied.
    In case no one has told you or you haven't looked for yourself....don't use tap water unless you plan on letting it set out for 24 hours or more. Use distilled water or reverse osmosis filtered water if you can.;)

11. 5.6-5.9 for pH in hydro? Why so strict? Cannabis can survive healthily up to 6.8 pH. If I am wrong please tell me. I'd like to get it straight if I'm wrong.

12. yes you are wrong my friend, sorry. Ganja can survive in the pH range you are talknig about, but anything above 6.0 in hydro and your going to see major nutrient lockout. When growing in hydro your best results will be seen when you fluctuate from 5.6-5.9 in each watering, for example, one day water at 5.6, next day at 5.8, next watering at 5.7, so on and so forth.

different nutrients are absorbed at different pH levels.

for soil however, you want to be in the 6.5-6.9 range

13. Nope, you are not wrong. But PH fluctuations cause damage faster in hydro systems, in turn making them harder to reverse if the problem persists. It's best to pick a place to stick close to and monitor and adjust accordingly. The point I was making is that a PH of 5.9 is common for hydroponics. Where as for soil, the PH would be higher.